Friday, 12 March 2010

Keep on running

It was the Bath half-marathon last weekend which was fab. There's something really mesmerising, I think, about watching thousands of people running along together, some seasoned pros, of course, who steam along at incredible paces (the freaks), some nervous first-timers who don't even know if they can make it the whole way around, people in Scooby-Doo and Superman costumes, ballet tutus and full make-up, others who run with a pack of mates, all cheering each other along. There are so many stories and so many dramas - the pain, the triumph, the blisters... it's like a microcosm of the human existence, man. Well, maybe not, but all the same, I find it fascinating - and awe-inspiring - to watch.

I am not a natural runner or an athletic type by any stretch of the imagination (ha! a nation sniggers) but I've been inspired to go out running a couple of times this week after seeing the marathon runners and envying them their stamina. I've also been inspired by Eddie Izzard's marathon challenge too - have you been watching the programme about him? Amazing. How did he DO that?

I guess running a marathon is a lot like writing a novel. All those hours spent training (or writing), the highs and lows, the will-I-get-to-the-end? angst, the pain and the anguish when it's not looking good, the soaring joy when you turn a corner and realise you can see a way through to the end... Gosh, I'm being very deep and meaningful here today - sorry. I don't know what's come over me. Am I making any sense?

I've had a wobble over the novel-in-progress recently anyway. I felt like I was going in the wrong direction, so took a deep breath and cut loads of it out. (Ouch.) Then I had a panic about how my word count had plummeted and an oh-shit-I-am-never-going-to-finish-this! freak-out. (Heeeeeelp!) BUT today I think I've turned a corner. Now I feel I'm back on track. I just have to keep plodding along, like Eddie Izzard, one foot after another, one word after another... and have a little faith that I'll get there in the end.
Let's hope there's a silver foil blanket and a Lucozade waiting for me when I make it. Or even a bottle of champers...

7 comments:

Captain Black said...

I find running extremely easy compared with writing a novel. I know, I know, I'm a right weirdo.

JJ Beattie said...

Oh give me a novel any day if it means I never have to run a marathon (and you all know how much pain the novel's put me through in the last three years...)

I saw you'd cut loads on FB. I'm so glad the panic is receding a bit and you feel you're back on track! Brilliant.

Angie said...

How funny, I just started writing a blog post about the similarities between running a marathon and writing a novel! :)
Glad to hear you're back on track with the new novel. I'm struggling to stay on track with my final revisions...finding inspiration in all the published bloggers I read.

Debs said...

I'm sure it'll be the bottle of bubbles at the end.

I love Eddie Izzard and think he's truly inspirational. I don't think I've ever seen such dogged determination.

Lucy Diamond said...

Captain Black - well.... who am I to argue with that? ;)

JJ - too right. Novels win every time for me too. The mammoth word-cutting spree was terrifying but *touches wood* I think it was the right thing to do. Feel much happier about the thing anyway!

Angie - great minds blog alike, as they say (well, you know...) Good luck with those final revisions. Sounds like the finishing tape is in sight!

Debs - ahh, you know me too well - of course it will be something alcoholic at the end, none of this Lucozade nonsense! Eddie Izzard is amazing, isn't he? If he was a character in a book you wouldn't believe he could actually do everything he's done, but somehow... x

Calistro said...

I've been watching the Eddie Izzard programme and find it completely astonishing. He hardly trained, he'd hardly run before and yet, day after day he completes a marathon even though he's in pain (those blisters, those toes, aagggh!). I think it says a lot about his mental state and his determination and I guess there's another comparison with writing. You have to be determined, you have to keep your eye on the finishing line and you have to keep slogging on, even when it hurts!

Lucy Diamond said...

Absolutely! Thank goodness we don't have to suffer the revolting blisters he did though! x