Monday, 1 February 2010

The novel awaits...

Hello, I hope you're all having a good Monday morning and aren't too chilly/hungover/plagued by Monday-morning-itis. It was very frosty here this morning first thing and is still brass monkeys in my little office. I am pressing myself against the pathetically lukewarm metal side of a plug-in radiator as I type. Brrrr.

Today's the day I return to my new novel - Novel 5 as it shall be catchily known henceforth. Hurrah! Well, let's hope it's a Hurrah, anyway. I haven't worked on it for weeks - haven't even looked at it since way before Christmas as it's been one thing after another, deadline-wise, lately. But now... it's all gone quiet for a while so February is going to be the month where I start galloping along with the story and write loads and loads and loads. You wait. There are scribbled notes scattered around the bedroom/my handbag/the living room with various plot points I have thought up while I've been getting on with other stuff so now I just need to gather them all up, recycle all the ones that are completely nonsensical/illegible, type the rest of them into my notes document, then read through the pages I've already written and get cracking. That's all.

Somehow or other though, it's already gone half-part ten and I've only just sat down at my desk. Somehow or other I managed to pop round to two different friends' houses after the school run this morning, and have also nipped to the shop and bakery for various purchases. And for some reason I'm writing a blog post about getting started when I really should be digging out my red pen and editing the work-in-progress, and - yeah, getting started, basically. Funny that, isn't it?

I am a bit scared about reading through the manuscript as it stands to be honest. I lay awake last night worrying that I was going to read it all and decide that it was utter crap and I'd have to start again. What if I start turning the pages and I've done a Shining-esque All-work-and-no-play-makes-Sue-I-mean-Lucy-a-dull-author? Oh Gawd. I'd better not put it off any longer. Heeeeeeeere's Johnny!

14 comments:

SM said...

great blog!! :)

Lucy Diamond said...

Thanks, SM!

Vicky said...

the new novel looks great! will have a lookout for it.
now that i'm back in the bloggersphere i'm looking forward to catching up on all the posts i've missed :)

Lucy Diamond said...

Cheers Vicky!

Writelike said...

Editing the work-in-progress? I am so, so scared of doing this! Perhaps that's where I'm going wrong.
Anyway, love that you're back blogging again, am now going to catch up on your posts
x

Rev.Lucy said...

Ooooo i've just finished Sweet Temptation having snaffled a proof copy at a book do..and wanted to say how much i loved it. Fun, moving, inspiring. Well well done and bring on may because i want to buy it for all my girlies. xx

LilyS said...

Looking forward to the new novel. Good luck with the editing!

Lucy Diamond said...

Writelike - yes, it's terrifying, isn't it?! Hope yours goes well. I have just added a juicy prologue (with a death!) so quite enjoyed that.

Rev.Lucy - awww bless ya mrs! Thank you!

Hi LilyS - and thanks! Just off for a few days now - me and the laptop for what I hope will be a mammoth writing session! x

Sarah*G* said...

I seem to be working backwards through your books. Just finished Hens and next is Over You!

SuE said...

your books seem to be awsome!!would love to read them!!please visit my blog and comment and tell me how's the story that i just posted!!

Single Mother on the Verge said...

You are a phenomenal multi-tasking queen to be on book 5!

How do you do it?!!!!! x

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh Gawd, sorry for the late reply to your comments Sarah, Sue and SMoV! Idle Blogger never told me. But anyway....
Sarah - yay! Hope you like it - them, I should say!

Sue - thanks!

SMoV (if I may call you SMoV) - ooh, I like that 'phenomenal multi-tasking queen' moniker, I may have to get a badge made up. xx

bigZero said...

vintage wedding dressesbreitling replica bentley

He won election to the U.S. Senate in Illinois in November 2004. His presidential campaign began in February 2007, and after a close campaign in the 2008 Democratic Party presidential primaries against Hillary Rodham Clinton, he won his party's nomination. In the 2008 presidential election, he defeated Republican nominee John McCain, and was inaugurated as president on January 20, 2009. In October 2009, Obama was named the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize laureate.

bigZero said...

discover hervey bayinmobiliarias

The word "animal" comes from the Latin word animalis, meaning "having breath". In everyday colloquial usage, the word usually refers to non-human animals. Sometimes, only closer relatives of humans such as mammals and other vertebrates are meant in colloquial use.The biological definition of the word refers to all members of the kingdom Animalia, encompassing creatures as diverse as sponges, jellyfish, insects and humans.