Wednesday, 20 January 2010

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go...

Ha! Can you tell I've been practising my guitar? I can play 'Leaving on a Jet Plane' AND 'Streets of London' now you know. Simon Cowell is going to be knocking on my door any day, you wait. (And telling me to stick to the day job, no doubt...)

Anyway, the 'all my bags are packed' line is relevant today as I'm off on my travels. Not leaving on a jet plane, though, more like leaving on First Great Western, heading north, north and a bit further north. In fact, over the next few weeks I'm going to be going north, south, east and west which is all rather exciting. Today, I'm off up to Yorkshire. A while ago, my children's publisher ran a kids' writing competition where one of the prizes was an author visit from me. (Call that a prize?!) And the winning writer's school is up in Yorkshire, so that's where I'm off to today. The only thing is, it takes 5 hours to get there on the train... eek! My ipod is fully charged and ready to take a serious hammering, plus I have 97 books to keep me going. Or something like that.

Then next week I'm heading...er... east to London for a glam publishing party. VERY excited about that although have the usual worries about disgracing myself in front of famous people etc. (Will give you a full blow-by-blow report, obviously.)
After that, I'm off eastwards again, this time to Norwich with the lovely Veronica Henry, as we're doing a New Romantics gig there on the 10th Feb in the central library. Come along, ye folk of Norwich! Everybody welcome. I will post the time etc once I know what the hell we're doing.

Finally, during half-term, I'm going south AND west (bit of a cheat but humour me) down to Cornwall for a holiday - I mean, intensive writing retreat. My new novel is set down there and obviously I need to do some serious research into the beaches, the restaurants, the hotel spa - ahem. Well, I can't write ALL the time, can I?

Now to pack my things for this school event. Werewolf mask - check. Plastic giant squid, fairy wand, spooky plastic skull, rubber snake - check. You think I'm kidding, don't you? All I can say is, if anyone tries to nick my luggage, they're in for a big surprise...