Monday, 22 June 2009

Parties

Went up to London last week for the Usborne party, celebrating their 'five years of fantastic fiction'. I've done (or nearly done) two twelve-book series with them now, so have worked long and hard with various editors there over the years. It was ace to catch up with the editors and marketing people I know there, but also meet some of the designers and other members of the crew too, as well as - best of all - my illustrators for the two series, Jan McCafferty and Maria Pearson. I was really looking forward to meeting them as they are both so talented, and it's been soooo exciting seeing my characters really come to life with their fabulous artwork. And I'd never actually met them before then, only exchanged the occasional email about PLR etc. So did I manage to restrain myself from gushing about how brilliant I think they both are? No, of course not. Never mind...

It was a really good night but oh my God I was in agony by the time I got home - all that standing around in stupid uncomfortable high heels to blame. Had to take them off once I got out of the party and walked to the tube station in my tights, oh I'm just such a lady, you know! (Seriously though, how do other women do it? I am amazed that anyone's pain threshold can be so high.)

Went to a friend's 40th on Saturday which was an equally glam affair - lovely people all in their finery (flatter shoes for me this time though), a seemingly endless stream of bubbly and clinking glasses, gorgeous canapes and birthday cake, the birthday girl herself looking utterly fab in her minxy black dress and new birthday shoes... the sort of party I could never manage to throw myself, basically (but lovely to soak up someone else's goddessery).

Actually it's got me thinking... it's my birthday next week too and I'm going to be thirty-(whisper it)-nine. Gulp. Just one year left of being in my thirties! I need to make myself a list of things to do before I turn forty, things that only a reckless, fun-loving thirty-something can get away with... I need to exit my thirties all guns blazing and slip into the big 4-0 with the satisfaction that yes, I rocked the thirty-something decade to the max.
So, if you've got any ideas or suggestions, leave them in the comments box!

10 comments:

rivergirlie said...

that's is WEEEEIIIIRRRD synchronicity! i was just reading your post when an email came in telling me you were following me on twitter! you're out of practice with the high heels, my dear! repeat after me: must go to more cocktail parties
xxx

Debs said...

Sounds like a busy and fun-filled weekend.

I have to admit I race around all day at work on rather high heels, I love them.

It doesn't matter what you end up doing for your birthday, as long as you have a wild time and enjoy every second.

Word verification: bling!

B said...

you are nearly 40?! you can't be! that's mad.

have you checked out Janette's blog for inspiration?

what you need is clark's shoes. i have a pair with 4 inch heels but they have a secret platform so they are way more comfortable than you'd think. they are my fave shoes!

Emily Gale said...

Oh I hear you on the shoes... When I was in London, sans children, this year, I wore heels a lot more because I thought I should take the opportunity to be glamorous for the first time in 5 years. I tried to keep it going when I got back to Oz...but the Uggs were back on before you could say 'aching arches'.

Ideas for being 39...hm, I've always wanted to stay in a tree-top hotel!

Lucy Diamond said...

Rivergirlie - spookeh!! (I'm not sure if Twitter is a good idea or not yet. Just seems like another means of procrastination at the moment...) But yes - I think a prescription of more cocktail parties is probably the solution to my heel troubles...

Debs - you RACE AROUND on high heels! I am impressed, I can only manage a slow hobble before having to take them off again, wincing. You are clearly a better woman than I! (Love that word verification!)

B - I prefer to say 'nearly 39' than 'nearly 40' at the moment, thanks very much! Thanks for the tip re Clarks shoes - will have a look.

Emily - ooh aching arches, I KNOW. A tree-top hotel is a very cool suggestion - like it!

Milla said...

39! er, I mean, nearly 39, oops: a child. A child with lots of books under your belt. Love your list of 15 by the way. What a carve up and Bell Jar and Danny 3 partic faves of mine.

L-Plate Author said...

laughed out loud at the image of you in London in your tights! Although I'm a bit out of practice, I'm with Debs, the higher the better and now that platforms are back, well I am in Heaven...literally!

Funnily enough been having the heels in London conversation with another NR this week. I'm there next month and may take some flatties with me to change into. But surely that means a bigger bag....x

Keris said...

I read that celebs have botox injected into the balls of their feet to make stiletto-wearing bearable...

文章 said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,自拍,情色論壇,性感影片,正妹

thrillpier said...

Both factoring and invoice discounting directly affect the performance of corporations as they impact on
working capital, and affect the performance of asset turnover and profit generation.
product reviewsDaycare Business