Wednesday, 22 April 2009

Rockets

This is not my story to tell, but it really made me laugh, so I'm just going to tell it anyway...

My husband took the kids to the park the other day and was pushing the four-year-old on the swing. "Can I have a rocket, Dad?" she asked.
A 'rocket' is a really hard swing-push that my husband has devised over the years of parenting which involves him holding the swing back really high then basically dropping it while somehow managing to run underneath it. Cue screams of delight from the kids, cue me having to hold my breath for fear of injuries/whiplash etc.

"Okay, you can have a rocket," he said. "Ready.... whoosh!"

A bit more swinging took place and then, "Dad, can I have ANOTHER rocket, please?"

"Okay, another rocket coming up," he said. "Ready... whoosh!"

A bit more swinging, and then, "Dad, can I have a different sort of lettuce now?"

Bless her...

7 comments:

claire p said...

Says a lot about kids today lol! Bless her heart. You have to use that in a novel somewhere!

Sally Lawton said...

Ah, that's really cute :-)

Lucy Diamond said...

Very cute - but it did make me feel VERY middle-class!
PS Claire, I think I will try to sneak that into a novel, good thinking!

Tam said...

There was only one kind of lettuce when I was a kid :-)

V funny!

Beleaguered Author said...

Haha! That's brilliant.

What always gets me is when men throw babies in the air and then catch them again. They only go a few inches up and they're always more than able to retrieve them, but for that split second when the baby is airborne and untethered in any way... I have to look away.

Debs said...

Brilliant! You should definately put that into a novel.

Lucy Diamond said...

Tam - me too, and I didn't like it very much!

Beleagured Author - Oh God yes - way too scary! Watch that baby's head!

Debs - I think I might just do that!