Wednesday, 25 March 2009

Talking about books again

Back to Oxford again yesterday for an event as part of the Lit Fest's 'School Days' which went really well. I met some lovely friendly authors there and had a very lively audience who were just fizzing with imaginative ideas. I love it when the kids come up to me afterwards and say they want to be authors, or they're going to write stories, or they've thought up a great title, or whatever. Very satisfying.

On the train going in yesterday morning, I finished reading Wife in the North which I absolutely loved. It's so funny and moving and well-written - so honest, too. I was sorry to finish - especially as I didn't have anything else to read on the way home. Trauma or what. Obviously I remedied that asap with a swift trip to Borders and bought fellow New Romantic author Veronica Henry's new one - Just A Family Affair. Ooh, I'm hooked already, it's fab.

I am really looking forward to doing some writing again now - it's been great going off and doing these events this week and last, but now I am dying to get back to writing stories rather than talking about them. I've hit the 60,000-word mark in Novel 4 and that feels like a good point to stop and read through the whole thing so that I can pick up any loose threads I may have forgotten about, so I have printed it off and it's sitting there ready for me to get stuck into it on Friday. But for now, I'll have to get on with the edits for Secret Mermaid book 7 before playgroup and school pick up....

9 comments:

Milla said...

Cor Lucy D you're a clever one. Up to novel 4. I love the covers, must have a peruse of your stuff when next in Waterstones and kid myself I almost know you! Does it get easier or harder? do you ever take it for granted?

liz fenwick said...

Gosh, you're brave - I'm not sure I would risk going back and reading at 60,000!
lx

Lucy Diamond said...

Hi Milla, oh you are lovely... No, I never take it for granted, I am always half-expecting to wake up and it all to have been a dream and that really I am a chicken plucker or something... I think it gets easier in some ways, in that I feel more confident about what I'm doing and have learned a few tricks along the way, but the FEAR of bombing never leaves you!

Liz - ahh, but I know I've left a few things dangling and need to remind myself what they are! It would be worse if I waited till the end, I think, I need to take stock and make sure it's all going in the right direction!

Claire said...

Hi there,
Sassy site! Just want to invite you to join a new social networking
community...it's global...mainly women from Australia & USA right now but wanting more from UK, Europe & Asia...join us at
http://www.sassy-mamas.com/ Get sassy today! I will also send an email invite!

Tam said...

I picked up a copy of Anyway You Want Me at the weekend and am looking forward to finding time to read it.

Ah yes, the fear of not being able to write another book - I have that now. My internal editor is already whispering that the new novel is not as good as the last one....

Sarah said...

I'm researching my third novel at the moment, and am freaking out that it won't be as good as my second, and that, in fact, it just won't be written at all.

Sympathy.

chicklitreviews said...

Hiya I loved Over You and can't wait for Hens Reunited!

Lucy Diamond said...

Tam - cheers! Hope you like it. And good luck with that new book...

Sarah - you can do it!

Chicklitreviews - cheers mrs!

Ladyhihi said...

Gosh, you're brave - I'm not sure I would risk going back and reading at 60,000!



Internet Dating
Candle Wedding Favors