Saturday, 7 March 2009

Kate Atkinson

Went to see Kate Atkinson as part of the Bath Literary Festival last night. She is definitely one of my favourite authors, I think I wrote a post last summer about how When Will There Be Good News? is the only book which has ever made me burst into tears with shock (and if you've read it, I'm sure you know the bit I mean). Birdsong and a couple of other books have seen tears running down my cheeks whilst reading but this was the most intensely anguished a book has ever made me feel. Now that's a sign of a bloody powerful writer, I reckon.

Anyway, she was just so interesting and inspiring last night. So funny and quick-witted and articulate, I really warmed to her, especially as she said when writing a novel she's always convinced it's rubbish. (I can relate to that.) And I was surprised that she's not a plotter kind of author - especially when you think how tightly wound her plot threads are. She says she knows her starting point, and where she wants to end up and the fun part is the middle where you find out how it all happens. (I can relate to that too, although I don't know if I could ever describe the writing as 'fun'. Mind you she did also say that she finds writing very tedious!) The interviewer asked if her characters 'lived' in her head, whether she heard their voices speaking to her and, after a perfectly timed comedy pause, she replied, "Oh, no. Because hearing voices in your head... well, that's called madness, I think, isn't it?"

She read a passage from When Will There Be Good News? - it's the chapter where Reggie and Ms MacDonald are introduced - and at first everyone in the audience was laughing away at all the funny bits. But then, by the end of this piece, she got to the bit about Reggie's mum dying and my God, the room just turned completely pin-drop silent. I think that's amazing, the way she can flip from comedy to pathos so smoothly.

Feeling guilty as I have to work today to catch up on deadlines but am so inspired by last night, I'm going to make sure every word I write is brilliant. Well, here's hoping anyway...

8 comments:

Leatherdykeuk said...

Ooh! I'l jealous!
I love Kate Atkinson's writing.

Debs said...

I wish I could have been there too.

I love her writing, and must order this book.

Tam said...

V jealous :-/

Lucy Diamond said...

She was brilliant - really engaging and funny. I'd definitely recommend seeing her if she ever does an event near you!
x

Captain Black said...

For the purposes of this blog posting, I shall now be known as Captain Green.

Dans said...

Sounds fab! I love Kate Atkinson.

Also only just noticed the new cover for your new book on your blog - I love it! Very excited for its release.

I LOVE YOU said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色,性愛

simson12 said...

Sorry for the delay on the naval battle, but our group is involved in a 7YW campaign and getting the group to change has been difficult. I'll keep pushing because it really looks interesting.
Best regards, Bill
replica rolexseks tips