Sunday, 15 February 2009

OFFICIAL: Romance alive and well

(subtitle: Things that make you go Awwwwww)

Feels very odd to be sitting here on a Sunday morning (not a time I am usually at the computer) but I have wangled a day's work today in exchange for treating my husband and kids to seeing Bolt at the cinema later. I have soooo much work to do, it is really stressing me out, so we have negotiated a few Sundays here and there so that I can catch up. It's either that or youngest daughter has to have extra childcare and, even though she's four, I don't want her to have to go anywhere except playgroup. She starts school in September so I need to make the most of her while she's still little and at home. (Can you believe it... from September there will be no kids at home in the day for the first time in nine years! I'm not quite sure how I feel about that... a bit sad, to be honest, but also quite excited at the prospect of all that freedom again.)

Anyway, before I get stuck into this book I need to finish, I'm just warming up my typing fingers (and brain... am slightly hungover after lovely dinner out last night) with a quick post-Valentine post. I've called this 'Things that make you go Awwwww' but I know that for some people, too much mushy stuff makes them go 'Ewwwwww', and if that applies to you, you'd better look away now.
I am firmly in the first camp, though - the Awwwwws - and obviously many fellow Bathonians are too. We went up to see the Sham Castle yesterday, a fab old folly up on a big hill near the university. The kids were charging about through the trees and generally spoiling the romantic mood for all the hand-holders up there - and then my eldest daughter discovered a bag which had been hidden behind a tree. "Please do not move - secret Valentine surprise!" someone had written on it. How sweet is that?? I'm not sure what was in it - I forbade my daughter to open it (even though I was dying to know) but presumably it was some lovely gift that a romantic person was planning to spring on their unsuspecting beau. Forward planning! Fabulous.

Then, as we were heading back over the fields, we saw a young, rather sweet-looking couple - and he was shyly carrying a wicker basket, obviously planning a picnic up there (even though it was cold and vair vair muddy.) Bless!

And then, as we drove home, someone had spelled out 'Happy Valentines Day Bear' one letter at a time on posters pinned to the trees along the road. I mean... you've gotta love these romantics, haven't you? They really go for it. My cockles felt thoroughly warmed, I can tell you.

PS Car music update - Best of Jimmy Cliff yesterday. I am quite enjoying this, forcing my kids to listen to 'proper' music for a change.

PPS Villa v Everton this afternoon - a nail-biter, I'm sure. Come on, you Villa!

PPPS Have reached ten work-outs on the Wii Fitness Coach so have a 'Physical Challenge' in store from it later. I'm scared.

PPPPS Don't forget to check out the New Romantics website - I am sooooo excited and proud to be a part of it!

PPPPPS Can you tell I'm not really in a working mood? It's Sunday! It feels so wrong. But needs must. Here I go...

8 comments:

Tam said...

Ooooh!! I'm soooo using the secret Valentine's surprise in a story somewhere!!

I've popped over to your new website and am thinking of my most romantic moment. Naturally, I'm spoilt for choice...

Hope you have a productive writing day :-)

wontletlifedefineme said...

That really does make me go awww... :) We don't really celebrate Valentine's day because it's right between our anniversary and my boyfriend's birthday. We did go to Bruges for our anniversary, which is a really romantic city.

Sally Lawton said...

Ah, that's just warmed my little heart... I'm desperate to know what was in the bag though!
Have a lovely productive day. I am working today too... erm, after I stop blogging! x

bcfreviews said...

Kate mentioned the new site on facebook, and I told her it looked great. :0)

I also said that the Share The Love Campaign looks interesting, and to let me know if you'd like BCF to get involved in any way.

Lucy Diamond said...

Tam - ooh yes, it's perfect for a story! And good luck with the New Romantic comp...

Won'tletlifedefineme - I'm glad you're on the side of the awwws! I'd love to go to Bruges, it looks beautiful. Hope you had a very romantic time there.

Sally - Oh I so wish I had looked in that bag! I don't know what came over me, acting all strict with my daughter like that (probably because there were people watching). Hope your day is productive too - mine was going great until the neighbours start mowing their bloody lawn...

Cheers, BCFReviews, that's a great idea, it would be good to get you on board!

ChrisH said...

Congratulations on the New Romantics site, it looks wonderful.

claire p said...

I went to the site. I don't think being proposed to in a thunder storm counts as romantic, may have to invent something!

Lucy Diamond said...

Thanks ChrisH!

Claire - a proposal in a thunderstorm is VERY romantic, I'd say! You could be in with a shout...