Tuesday, 13 January 2009

The End of the Chocolate Orange, and Mr Y, too

I finished the last piece of my chocolate orange last night - so I can hereby announce that Christmas is definitely over. *sigh* (I'm saying this as if I've heroically made one single chocolate orange last from Christmas Day until now, but perhaps just to reassure that it is really me typing this, and not some health-freak impostor, I'd better add that AT LEAST four other boxes of chocs have also been scoffed during that time.) I'm starting to get a bit fed up of winter now. Can we have spring early, please?

Still, on a cheerier note, I started this month's book group book last night - it's The End of Mr Y by Scarlett Thomas. Oooh, I'm enjoying this one. I loved it as soon as I picked up a copy in a book shop and saw those elegant black-edged pages and that funky cover. And once I began reading, I was hooked in immediately and have been completely bewitched ever since. It is so well-written and intriguing and the author must be some kind of bloody genius to have put it all together... loving it.

Right, an hour and a bit left while my youngest is at playgroup, must get on with some work while I can...

6 comments:

claire p said...

Hi,
Thank you for stopping by my blog. Wow a proper, published writer has visited my blog!! If you don't mind I will be back to your blog often. And I may have to break my new year resolution and buy your books, they look like my kind of thing.
Thank you for the help with the linking thing. You can't tell I've not been doing this long can you!!

Leigh said...

I am in awe; I finished my own Chocolate Orange weeks ago.

I visited the flat of the Reconstructed Man today, and happened upon a fair few remaining segments of his chocolate orange, I was tempted, I can tell you. He wouldn't have noticed. He doesn't even like chocolate...

S'not fair.

Thanks for the book suggestion. That sounds like one worth looking out for!

liz fenwick said...

Didn't get one :-(

lx

Lucy Diamond said...

Hello Claire P, nice to see you here! I hope the linking thing goes well!

Leigh - 'doesn't even like chocolate'??? You so should have nicked that chocolate orange. Honestly. Some people are such philistines!

Liz - NO!!!!! I wish I could share mine with you but it's all gone...

Debs said...

I finished my own Chocolate Orange on the same day I started it, Boxing Day.

Lucy Diamond said...

Debs - I reckon you tackled that Chocolate Orange in the proper way, and I fully respect you for that!