Friday, 22 August 2008

Treats

I forgot a key Happiness Reason from yesterday's post:

6) The Olympics. I am sooooo enjoying watching/listening to all the events, especially as Team GB are doing so brilliantly. I have already mentally given myself two weeks off for the 2012 games and will be parked on my sofa watching the lot. Can't wait!

Anyway. I had a fab day yesterday. Lovely train journey making notes for the meeting (trying to think of brainy things I could say) and reading My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier (haven't read it for at least 20 years, couldn't remember the ending at all, loved it) and then went here for tea and cake with my editor and the publishing director which was extremely nice (I can recommend the carrot and coconut cake...mmmm....). I do love how, working on children's books, you can have really in-depth conversations about the storylines which must seem completely mad to anyone eavesdropping. Ie yesterday we were discussing mermaids' magical powers, an evil baddie mermaid, and shrinking all the whales of the oceans down to miniature size. Completely bonkers. I so hope somebody was earwigging on that lot.

Then I had a couple of hours to kill before I could get the first off-peak train home. What a shame. I just had to go to Oxford Street and do some shopping. I know, it's a hard life. I made a beeline for TopShop and then H&M (ahhh, H&M, how I have missed you) and bought two tops for about 5p. Then hit the huge lovely Borders where they had a gratifyingly large pile of copies of Over You, yay, and where I treated myself to the new Kate Atkinson . I don't usually buy hardbacks (too expensive/too heavy to read in bed or cart around in a bag), but I loved her last two so much, I just couldn't hold back today. Naughty. But nice.

I read A Room of One's Own on the way back. Shamefully, I had never read it before but I thought it was fantastic. The first chapter was a bit odd, but after that, it was brilliant, surprisingly humorous and chatty, and very inspiring, especially the rousing last chapter. So here I am this morning, in my own room, and feel as if I'd better crack on now... and write something about shrinking whales and baddie mermaids. Perhaps not quite what Virginia had in mind, but hey. I'm enjoying myself. Have a good weekend everyone xx

12 comments:

Debs said...

Glad you had such a wonderful day.

I love the odd occasion when I go to London and can never get over the exciting array of shops. The hardest part is then having to get everything back home again.

JJ said...

What a lovely day. I'm ashamed to admit that I've never read A Room of One's Own either, and for my art degree I did a dissertation about women and art! Ohhh I'm ashamed.

Kate.Kingsley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate.Kingsley said...

{Whispers in case the uni arrives to rescind Eng lit degree} I've never read ' A room of one's own' either.

I'm trying to hold off for a week on buying the new Kate Atkinson, cos once I get my hands on it my life will be on hold until i've finished the very last page, but I'm lucky enough to be going to see her at the Durham Book festival in October ~ hurrah!!

Loving the sound of the magical mermaids!!

Lucy Diamond said...

Debs - I know! The shops are brilliant, you definitely need some stamina (and a wheelbarrow) for a proper stint there.

JJ - don't be ashamed, I was just the same! It is definitely worth a read, very inspiring (and very short too, won't take you long to read, which is always a bonus with worthy-type books, I think!)

Kate - ooh, lucky you, going to see Kate Atkinson. What a treat. I am really looking forward to getting stuck in to her new one - it is a signed copy too, I forgot to put that in my post. result!!

B said...

That is quite bizarre. In Waterstones yesterday (or maybe the day before) I picked up 'A room of one's own' and nearlynearly bought it. Then I remembered how broke I am and the fact that it's probably cheaper on the interwebs (and it is, it's £4.99 from play.com... will be ordering that soon!). But I flicked through, and what it's made me realise is that - I need to delegate some of the house-running stuff to D. How can I expect to write when I am such a control-freak that I have to do everything myself? And then I wonder why he sees this as my place that he lives in. Cause and effect, much?

Thanks for the rec. I wanted to buy it, but wasn't 100% sure it would be worth it. You have convinced me that I need to read it before the next course starts :)

And congrats on Over You doing so well - but I am not surprised. It's a GREAT book. Once I have got through the TBR pile, I will be reading it again :)

Lucy Diamond said...

Spooky!! It is definitely worth a read, b, but if you're skint, I bet your library will have it. Or you can borrow my copy, of course! :)
Have a lovely weekend xx

B said...

Aw. You are such a sweetie :) And why do I keep forgetting about libraries? It will be better when the new library in Newcastle is built, though. The building is nearly done, but it's going to take a long long time to put all the lovely shiny books in there :)

I LOVE YOU said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色,性愛

文章 said...

走光,色遊戲,情色自拍,kk俱樂部,好玩遊戲,免費遊戲,貼圖區,好玩遊戲區,中部人聊天室,情色視訊聊天室,聊天室ut,成人遊戲,免費成人影片,成人光碟,情色遊戲,情色a片,情色網,性愛自拍,美女寫真,亂倫,戀愛ING,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,成人短片,美女交友,美女遊戲,18禁,三級片,自拍,後宮電影院,85cc,85cc免費影片,免費影片,線上遊戲,色情遊戲,日本a片,美女,avdvd,色情遊戲,情色貼圖,女優,偷拍,情色視訊,愛情小說,85cc成人片,成人貼圖站,成人論壇,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,免費a片,視訊美女,視訊做愛,免費視訊,伊莉討論區,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,維克斯論壇,自拍

ChjpHunter said...

{Whispers in case the uni arrives to rescind Eng lit degree} I've never read ' A room of one's own' either.

I'm trying to hold off for a week on buying the new Kate Atkinson, cos once I get my hands on it my life will be on hold until i've finished the very last page, but I'm lucky enough to be going to see her at the Durham Book festival in October ~ hurrah!!

Loving the sound of the magical mermaids!!





diamond wedding bandsdengeli doğru beslenme

ChjpHunter said...

Anyway. I had a fab day yesterday. Lovely train journey making notes for the meeting (trying to think of brainy things I could say) and reading My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier (haven't read it for at least 20 years, couldn't remember the ending at all, loved it) and then went here for tea and cake with my editor and the publishing director which was extremely nice (I can recommend the carrot and coconut cake...mmmm....). I do love how, working on children's books, you can have really in-depth conversations about the storylines which must seem completely mad to anyone eavesdropping. Ie yesterday we were discussing mermaids' magical powers, an evil baddie mermaid, and shrinking all the whales of the oceans down to miniature size. Completely bonkers. I so hope somebody was earwigging on that lot.





Office FurnitureIrving Apartments