Wednesday, 23 July 2008

What's it all about, then?

Well, it looks like this season's Amazon-rank-watching has begun... yes, they're now showing Over You as in stock, hoorah! Very exciting to think of those pre-orders whizzing off to their new homes now... and people actually reading the book... gulp.

So, I'd better tell you what it's all about, then, hadn't I?

I started writing this novel after a brilliant weekend in London with two of my best friends. The three of us had lived in many rented flats together in London back when we were twenty-somethings in such glamorous locations as Tulse Hill and Harringay all the way to the delights of Kings Cross (obviously we told everyone we lived in Islington though). And then, one by one we moved away from the big city, settled down, went travelling, had kids... you know.
Now we live miles from each other (sob) so the three of us arranged a weekend reunion in London for old time's sake. It was so strange and yet familiar revisiting our old haunts - Camden, Upper Street, Hackney - a really peculiar feeling of the past and present colliding. I kept expecting to see people we'd hung out with at the time, ex-boyfriends, old work colleagues, ex-housemates - and then reminding myself, Oh yeah, I don't live here any more...

ANYWAY. It struck me as a great start to a novel. What if a woman met up with two old friends in a similar way... and a secret was revealed that shattered everything she'd once believed in? What if the friendship wasn't actually how she'd seen it at all? And what if stepping back into the past meant that the present became tarnished and spoiled?

You'll have to read it now, to find out what happens, won't you... unless you win my anagram competition, of course, which is still running until Friday - see below. (And by the way, I've got another competition starting next week in which you can win a lovely Fiction Package from those gorgeous people at Macmillan. All will be revealed on Friday...)

Oh, and two more things: my new Bridalwave column is out here...
And the funniest comments thread ever seen on the internet is here...

16 comments:

Caroline said...

Oh how exciting!
I can't wait to read it. You're to be one of my summer reads when I nip off for a few days.

x

Single Mother on the Verge said...

Sounds delicious.

I'll get it from a good ole fashion bookstore

Lucy Diamond said...

Caroline - I know! So exciting! And I feel very honoured to be one of your summer reads, dahling!

SMoV - cheers m'dear!

Captain Black said...

I'm reading AWYWM at the moment, but only three chapters in so far. I'll tell you one thing: it makes me want to run a mile from "commitment"!

Typical bloke, eh?

Bear said...

I do think this is a must-accompany-me-to-Greece-book!

bcfreviews said...

As if I don't have enough review books yelling for my attention, I'm going to have to add this one to my pile as well!

Are you still set to cha to everyone on the forum next month?

diet betty said...

Sounds great, I'm adding it to the TBR pile - and I love the cover, I want to be that woman (although without the emotional baggage, from what you've said - just the shopping baggage will do!)

DB :)

Lucy Diamond said...

Captain Black - lol, oh dear, that wasn't my intention at all! Commitment is a GOOD thing, honest!

Hello again, Bear - oh yes, I think so too! :)

BCFReviews - oh cheers! And yes, please, I'd love to chat to the forum! Let me know when you want me x

Hi Diet Betty and welcome! I want to be the woman on my front cover as well - those legs! And yes, all that lovely shopping in rather posh-looking bags... But yes, emotional baggage of the novel is definitely the kind to steer away from!

JJ said...

Ooh, fab. I can't wait to get hold of it. JJx

B said...

It sounds fab. I can't wait to read :)

I never understood why you're supposed to have seating plans. We allocated people to tables and let them decide themselves whereabouts to sit, and that seemed overkill to me. Worked fine though. Hope you don't have to re-revise!

Lucy Diamond said...

JJ - thank you! I hope you like it x

b - cheers! Re seating plans - they are a nightmare! I like your idea of letting people work it out themselves - seems very sensible...

Kate.Kingsley said...

I've got 'Over You' pre-ordered and I can't WAIT to read it ! :-)

Our table plan was mercifully easy, with just one recently divorced couple plus their new pertners to negotiate. Had it not been for them I would have liked to simply number the seats and have people pick raffle tickets out of a hat to allocate their seating. Might have made for some interesting conversations!

Kate.Kingsley said...

Ha ha ~ I've typed "pertners" instead of "partners" ~ clearly a Freudian slip about trading in for a new and improved model!!

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh thanks Kate! Hope you enjoy it. :) And I love that 'pertners' slip - classic!

L-Plate Author said...

Thanks for the tip off Lucy, I've just ordered it from Whsmith, says it's in stock xx

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh thanks! How exciting that they've got it in stock now... must get into town and have a look as soon as I can manage it!