Tuesday, 15 July 2008

Today I am mostly...

Stressed. I found out that a festival event I've signed up to do is a whole hour long. That's sixty minutes of me on a stage in front of an audience of kids. Heeeeeeellllppppp!

Overwhelmed. Just finished reading The Outcast and it's bloody fantastic. Can't believe it's her first novel - just so good. Beautiful uncluttered prose, huge emotional depth, and such fragile, damaged characters it's almost painful to read. (Do wish the blurb on the back hadn't given away quite so much though.)

Apprehensive. Going back to the dressmaker who's going to shorten my wedding dress tomorrow. "Can't possibly do anything until you've got your shoes," she said last time before trying to flog me several pairs. "Of course, people do tend to spend hundreds on their wedding shoes," she went on when I turned them down. She is sooo going to look down her nose at MY wedding shoes, they only cost a tenner in the sales. Ho hum. Trying not to care...

Knackered. Running up hills on the treadmill. Ooer. Gruelling or what.

Excited. Finished copies of Over You are in and winging their way to me! Whoopeee!

9 comments:

girl with the mask said...

Stress makes you frown. You get the same lines with laughing, and it is a lot more fun!

SpiralSkies said...

No one's going to look at your shoes with those Keira Knightly teef on display...

You could always grow a bit?

Angie said...

I bet your shoes are lovely, and you should feel smug knowing you got a deal!
The Outcast looks great, I'll have to add it to my toppling pile.
Hang in there, and good luck with the festival. :)

Lucy Diamond said...

Girl - that's all very well but... a whole HOUR! Entertaining hordes of kids! Fuck. I'm stressed again now.

Spiral - Keira Knightly teef? What do you mean? now I'm even more stressed!

Angie - thanks, actually the shoes were better than I remembered them. Just need to practise walking in heels now!

Kate.Kingsley said...

Hhhhm,someone advised me to spend around £300 on a pair of Jimmy Chooes for my wedding because "although they will be covered by your dress there will be a point when you will lift your skirt up a little bit when you're walking and you don't want ot be embarrassed".

I settled on a pair for 327 from John Lewis and got loads of compliments!

People do try to wring you dry, pre-wedding, don't they?!

girl with the mask said...

Go with doing lots of funny voices. Funny voices always work! And perhaps avoid saying 'fuck'...

Lucy Diamond said...

Kate, honestly, some people are barking mad!! Glad you found some bargains. x

Girl - funny voices, like it. Maybe I could hire you as my assistant? I am thinking of starting some Buddhist chanting then getting them to meditate for an hour. What do you think?
Failing that... I will wash my mouth out with soap and water live on stage. that could work...

Kate.Kingsley said...

Ha, I am so poor at typing ~ just noticed that I failed to hit 'shift', hence the "3", and not the "£" ~ my shoes were £27, not 327 ~ I would be physically sick spending that much on shoes!!!

(just felt the need to correct that, as I am not Carrie Bradshaw!)

Lucy Diamond said...

Don't worry, I didn't think you were showing off! I guessed you meant £27. I would be too terrified to actually WEAR a pair of shoes that cost £327, I think I would have to keep them in a glass display case. Actually, sod that, I'd just spend the money on something else!