Wednesday, 9 July 2008

The Raining Sky

Ahh...what lovely summery weather we're having today. (If you're reading this from a country far far away, I'm being sarcastic. It is lashing it down and set to be this way the entire day. Great.) Seems all the more grey and miserable somehow as we watched The Sheltering Sky last night on DVD. Wow. Have you seen it? Visually it is stunning - all those miles and miles of rippling golden dunes with impossibly blue skies, scorched earth, stone fortresses, leggy lurching camels - all so foreign and different. Star Wars land.
At first, as we watched, LP and I were ruing the fact that we hadn't travelled around North Africa together (in fact we haven't done any proper travelling together - we have covered almost all the continents separately on big travelling stints but have only ever had holidays together, not set off for months at a time (and obviously that ain't gonna happen now)). By by the end of the film we weren't quite so keen to dust off our backpacks, funnily enough... Great film though. I find John Malkovich a bit creepy (sorry, John, if you ever read this) but he was very good in it. Definitely Debra Winger's film though - she was brilliant. And oh, how I wish I had such a fabulous throaty laugh.

Anyway. Back to the real world. I am reading The Road Home by Rose Tremain at the moment which I am loving - she is such a fantastic writer who makes every detail and exchange of dialogue utterly convincing and seemingly effortless. It's one of those books where you sit down to read a bit and suddenly find you are 100 pages further through the book. Great characters and story. I'm hooked.

Lots of other interesting books in the TBR pile at the moment - I've got The Outcast and The Gathering (like everyone else) which both look brilliant, Hearts and Minds by Rosy Thornton, The Delivery Room by Sylvia Brownrigg (I read a proof of her new one, Morality Tale, which was very good) and Everything You Ever Wanted by Rosalind Wylie... phew, I need a week off to get stuck into that lot, I think.
What's next on your TBR pile? Tell me, tell me...

10 comments:

JJ said...

I loved the Gathering. I've got Kate Mosse's Labyrinth top of my TBR pile because she's one of the tutors at the course I'm attending at the end of Sept. Not really my kind of thing but out of courtesy, interest etc I'd like to read it.

Calistro said...

Currently reading "Behind the Scenes at the Museum" by Kate Atkinson. Next is "Garden Spells" by Sarah Addison Allen as everyone seems to have been raving about it on the web recently so I felt compelled to stick it in my Amazon shopping basket even though I've got books that have been on the TBR pile for years! After that I fancy reading "The Rotters Club" by Jonathon Coe. I'd even forgotten that was on the TBR pile because it had sort of slipped off and mixed into the 'read' books on the bookshelves. I LOVED 'House of Sleep' and am hoping The Rotters Club will be similarly enjoyable.

Lane said...

That's an interesting lot you've got to read!

I've just started Engleby by Sebastian Faulks and I'm also reading some Doris Lessing short stories. Next on the (huge) pile is The Gathering and I must get the Rose Tremain. Everyone says how good it is!

Happy reading:-)

Pacha said...

I always remember the few trips G and I did before kids with a lot of nostalgia and wish we had done more...

I loved 'The Sheltering Sky' --- saw it years ago and would love to watch it again. Very atmospheric and surreal and beautiful...I think LP would get the worst deal - wife unfaithful and then he dies a painful death...Debra was luckier and even had herself an arab prince! (I sort of had a crush on arab prince and like the idea of obliteration of self in order to grieve...but it's one of those days for me today so I may not be normal. MAYBE!)...

*sigh*

I really need to pull myself together!

B said...

I got half way through Jazz by Toni Morrison and then stalled. I have banned myself from thinking of other books til I have finished it :) (and I was enjoying it too so I have no idea why I stopped!)

Caroline said...

I've just finished the first draft of Novel 3 (oh yes I have!) and so now I can read all the books that I want to. I am waiting for your next and Nasim's The State of Me (any day now) and I have Garden Spells to start tonight.
I am so excited!

Cx

ps - Hope you enjoy Roz's book.

Lucy Diamond said...

JJ - ooh I will be quizzing you about that course on Saturday! And yes, definitely good to read Labyrinth beforehand. I quite enjoyed it when I read it, not my usual cup of tea either, but a good yarn as these things go, I thought.

Calistro - oh, I love Kate Atkinson! She is so fab. And The Rotters Club is ace too (have you read 'What A Carve-Up' by Jonathan Coe? one of my fave books). Garden Spells - yes, I have read wonderful things about it too, it's one I want to read soon as well...

Hi Lane - yes that new Sebastian Faulks one sounds great, I fancy that one (but when? WHEN?)

Pacha - 'obliteration of self in order to grieve' oh, you put that so perfectly. Absolutely. That look of shock and misery on her face - brilliant. Yes, the husband did get a bum deal but my sympathy vanished for him after his dalliance with the seedy side of life on that first night...

Hi b, oh, I hate it when you 'stall' on a book like that, really annoying especially when inexplicable. Go on, just read 20 pages tonight, maybe you'll get back into it...

Caroline - well done!!!! That is fantastic. Hope you are cracking something open tonight, like the author in Misery...although just say no to driving around snowy mountain roads, please...

sexy said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,A片,A片,情色,A片,A片,情色,A片,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,a片,情趣用品A片,A片,AV女優,色情,成人,做愛,情色,AIO,視訊聊天室,SEX,聊天室,自拍,AV,情色,成人,情色,aio,sex,成人,情色免費A片,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛情色文學,色情A片,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,言情小說,愛情小說,AV片,A漫,AVDVD,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,成人交友,成人電影,成人貼圖,成人小說,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人遊戲,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色小說,成人論壇情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,aio,av女優,AV,免費A片,日本a片,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,聊天室,美女交友,成人光碟A片,A片,A片下載,做愛,成人電影,.18成人,日本A片,情色小說,情色電影,成人影城,自拍,情色論壇,成人論壇,情色貼圖,情色,免費A片,成人,成人網站,成人圖片,AV女優,成人光碟,色情,色情影片,免費A片下載,SEX,AV,色情網站,本土自拍,性愛,成人影片,情色文學,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人貼圖

I LOVE YOU said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色,性愛

文章 said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,AV女優,美女,成人圖片區,080苗栗人聊天室