Wednesday, 30 July 2008

Partners

I have got a new perfect partner! Well, all right, not me, then - but Over You has. On Amazon. (Keep up!) My perfect partner for Any Way You Want Me changed a few times at first, then it was Brown Owl's Guide to Life by Kate Harrison (fabulous) before changing again to The Yorkshire Pudding Club by Milly Johnson (also fabulous). So I was chuffed with my perfect partners there, but what would be my new one for Over You?
Well.... I've just had a look and it is... Coming Up Next by Penny Smith, as in Penny Smith from GMTV! How exciting! I feel a bit dizzy at such proximity to celebrity and am almost tempted to write her a gushing email saying, Ooh, we're perfect partners, you and me - but will restrain myself. For now, anyway. Because that would be a bit sad, really, wouldn't it?

Talking of perfect partners, I had a fantastic creative bath last night with my real-life Lovely Partner (no, we're not talking about Penny any more). You know how it is, fellow authors, sometimes you find yourself in a narrative cul-de-sac, wondering, what the hell is meant to happen next? (Or maybe that's just me?) Anyway, my solution is to do some plot-busting in the bath with my loved one plus a fierce G&T for inspiration. You should try it. Not with my loved one, though. He's taken.
Seriously, though, there is something about being there in hot water and bubbles (a bit pissed) that seems to get the old storylines going. (Gawd - don't even go there with the double entendres please.) Now I just have to decipher all the notes I made last night to see if the ideas are really as good as we thought they were at the time...

6 comments:

PatP said...

I quite envy you with your creative bath - our bath is way too tiny for such sport.
I have to get inspiration from a different kind of nature (see my latest blog entry - where you get a mention, too).

Anyway, I'm off to the post office now and then I've booked myself the rest of the day off to read Over You.

The Dotterel said...

You made notes!? In the bath?? With your partner?? Now I know where I've been going wrong all these years.

SpiralSkies said...

Penny Smith! Wow!! That's total celebrity-cool.

I'm intrigued by your bath tactics though worry it might make my characters a little wet..? (ugh, yes, a 'fierce' G&T required for me after that. Good phrase. Will steal it forthwith. Ta.)

Lucy Diamond said...

PatP - we have suffered with titchy baths for years, but now have a new big bath... bliss. Am wondering if I can reasonably put it down as a 'business expense' now, hmmm!
PS Hope you are enjoying the book...

The Dotterel - hello! Do you think I am a bit sad, making notes in the bath with my partner? It's a laugh, honest, especially if your G&Ts are as pokey as ours. You should try it!

Spiralskies - ahh, but will Penny Smith leave a message on my blog like Cheggers did on yours? I fear not. Therefore I bow before your superior celebrity-cool. Bow, bow.
Talking of characters being wet, last night we were coming up with plots for my new mermaid series. So there you go!

Paula said...

Penny Smith, wow! I hadn't even realised she had WROTE a book until about a week ago but I'm quite eager to see what she has to say. It must be really cool to see who you get paired with next!!! :)

Lucy Diamond said...

Hi Paula! It is totally cool - really exciting. I'd be quite interested to read Penny's book - I think she's rather witty on telly.