Sunday, 6 July 2008

Pandas, iguanas and Lego cake

Son's birthday party on Saturday - we took him and some of his muckers to see Kung-Fu Panda at the cinema, followed by lunch in town. I thought it would be a stress-free antidote to last year's nightmare (12 boys in our house, five days before we moved, what a stupid idea of mine and yes, the longest two hours of my life as they all turned feral within two seconds of their parents dropping them off). But this year's effort was pretty easy as parties go - the film was ace although afterwards all the boys were keen to do lots of kung-fu at any given moment, all the way out through the cinema, along the street, crossing the road (I had to get a bit stern about that) and then along to Las Iguanas. Chips and Lego cake all round (not MADE of Lego, just decorated with little Lego people fighting each other (son's orders)) and the job was done. Lovely. That's birthday season over for us now until October, so a few months' respite...

Meanwhile, I am gearing up for the launch of the new novel - I am doing a signing at Waterstones in Bath on 9th August (feel free to arrange your West Country holidays around that date!) and sorting out some competitions for this here blog and elsewhere - with prizes and everything - so stay tuned... On the children's books side of things, I am saying yes to all sorts of other events - two festivals so far, three school visits in the offing, and two bookshop signings. Get me, eh, publicity whore. Or not, actually, I am saying yes to them all but then going into a kind of denial and pretending none of them are really going to happen. My head is too full of wedding detail right now to stress about anything else which is actually quite lucky really...

7 comments:

Pacha said...

I was in Grado the other day. The place I found your novel 'Anyway you want me' by chance last year (it was an amazing moment - which was prolonged because I didn't stop to put the book down after...)...I went into the bookshops and I think I was searching for 'Over you' (I know it's not out yet but sometimes they sneak in copies, don't they? wishful thinking and all that)...

So pleased that son had a lovely birthday. Kung-Fu isn't out here yet and my kids are frantic to see it (they have to translate it - cinemas tend to close down in the summer anyway)...

So excited about your new novel being launched soon Lucy.

GOOD GOOD LUCK WITH IT ALL!

Caroline said...

Oooooh new novel to be taken with me wherever I find myself holidaying this summer. How exciting!

Please do whore yourself here too, so that we'll know where to come and thrust books at you to sign. If you're ever in the North West, do let me know.

x

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh, Pacha! You say the nicest things. I think copies of Over You should be due any day now so you never know, an early copy might sneak its way to Grado...
Kung-Fu Panda is fab. Worth the wait!

Ooooh Caroline, I know!! Tres exciting. It has sneaked up on me while I've been busy getting on with life. I can't believe copies hit the shops in just a few weeks.
And I so wish I could whore myself around the north-west (in a bookshop-signing kind of way, obviously!) so I could meet you, but it's not easy with the kids. Maybe one year I will be a megaselling author and will get away with a national tour, staying in luxury hotels all over the UK... *sigh* Something to dream about anyway.

pierre l said...

I shall certainly aim to visit Bath on the relevant day. The wedding must be coming up soon. Good luck with all those things - you are going to be busy.

girl with the mask said...

And 'Da-Nile' is not a river in Egypt, honey.

Debs said...

Oh lovely, a new book to order from Amazon. Can't wait to read it.

Lucy Diamond said...

Pierre - oh brilliant! The signing is from 11-1pm... hope you can make it! And yes, not too long before the wedding now, just weeks away... We are going to thrash out the table plans tonight - I think a large glass of wine will be needed!

Girl - I am pretending I don't understand what you mean. Denial is quite handy, if you ask me.

Debs - oh, thank you!