Friday, 11 July 2008

One, two, three

I couldn't sleep last night. I was fizzling about all kinds of things. Number one: the fact that I'm going to meet some of the Novel Racers in London tomorrow! I am so excited and a bit scared too. The last time I went on one of these blog-meet things it was quite unnerving walking through the door and actually seeing all these real, live people I'd chatted to over the blogs. Great, though - I loved it. And it will be so nice to finally meet a bunch of the Novel Racers after all the many virtual coffee mornings we've shared... the angst, the triumphs, the writer's block, the mutual cheering-on support and encouragement. Make mine a large white wine please.

Number two thing that stopped me sleeping: I had a cracking day on the novel yesterday. Isn't it fabulous how a good day's writing can give you such a buzz, such a massive rush of excitement? I was soooo chuffed with how well it had flowed, 4,500 words knocked out and they all came so easily too. I hate those days where you feel you are hauling sentences from your brain with tweezers - painful and laborious. So now I'm past 85,000 words and today I'm going to finish off one of my big plotlines (I have three). Just one juicy final scene to write and then that particular character's story is done. Done, I say! Then only two chapters and an epilogue to go... I can almost see that finish line now.

Number three: I finished The Road Home and couldn't stop thinking about it (in between everything else). Fabulous. Fabulous. Fabulous. There's something so convincing about the way Rose Tremain writes, you really feel as if she's been there, a migrant worker coming to Britain, struggling as a kitchen assistant and asparagus picker and everything else. I could have done with a slightly longer ending but maybe that's because I just didn't want the book to be over. Can't say better than that. Next book to be read is The Outcast - and I'm ashamed to say, I opened it up to flick through last night and my first thought was, "Oh good, nice big writing". Tsk tsk.

Down to work now, I'm going to get straight into my juicy finale scene for Character 1. Yum.
Have a good weekend, everyone - and look forward to seeing some of you tomorrow!

10 comments:

SpiralSkies said...

Wow, sounds as if you're going great guns. It's awesome to have a real writing day like that - shame it's the tortuous tweezering more often than the torrents of oomph isn't it?

Lane said...

See you tomorrow. I'm a tad nervous too:-)

Pacha said...

Oh! Congratulations with the writing...it's brilliant because then we get to read it!

The Road Home is my next book on the tbr pile and I can't wait!

Enjoy the novel-racers meet up and that glass of white wine!

Helen said...

I can't believe you have accomplished so much and still had time to finish a book. See you tomorrow. x

Lucy Diamond said...

Spiral Skies - guns a-blazing! I will probably delete 4,999 words today though, knowing me...

Lane - good-nervous I hope! I have got butterflies...

Pacha - cheers darlin! Hope you like The Road Home (and my book of course!). I wish you could come tomorrow...maybe one day...

Helen - amazing what you can do when there's sod-all on the telly at night! See you tomorrow!

Debs said...

Well done on the writing front.

I wish I was able to meet up with the NRs tomorrow, never mind maybe another time. I'm sure you'll all have a wonderful time.

Lucy Diamond said...

That's a shame, Debs - I'm sure there will be another meet before too long though... It would be great to meet you then.

Calistro said...

See you tomorrow!

B said...

Not long til the meet now - exciting!

Lucy Diamond said...

See you tomorrow, both of you!