Thursday, 10 July 2008

I can, and I will

There is an acute case of end-of-term-itis rampaging through the house right now - all three kids are tearful, bad-tempered and over-tired. And we still have a whole two weeks to go before the school holidays! Eldest daughter is headachey and hot this morning and normally I would have kept her at home but she was so desperate to take part in the school concert today, I caved in. I'm not used to hearing "But I really WANT to go to school!" - I find that a bit freakish, personally. I'm sure I never uttered those words as a child. Anyway, she's gone, bless her. But what's the betting I'll get a phone call from the school in an hour's time asking me to trudge down the road and pick her up?

As for me, I need to make this last term-time fortnight count big-style...I'm determined to finish the novel-in-progress before the end of the month. Determined! I thought I'd manage it by the end of June but got so tangled up trying to hammer out one of my backstories, it didn't quite happen that way. But now... Now I am surging towards The End again, full steam ahead, I can do it, I can do it, I can do it!

PS Everyone go and say happy birthday to Clare today. Because she's worth it.

14 comments:

The Dotterel said...

Sounds familiar (and to teachers as well as pupils!). You're novel deadline is a bit like our headlong rush to get things finished for a fortnight's time. Sometimes the summer hols can come too soon. (I know, that's freakish too!)

The Dotterel said...

Oh dear - teacher illiteracy: 'your' novel, of course!

Lucy Diamond said...

Ha ha! Good old teacher illiteracy! ;)
I bet you are counting down the days too...enjoy the holidays!

Jane Henry said...

Ahhhh. I know the feeling...
But two of mine are finishing ON TUESDAY... So I have today tomorrow and Monday to work... And Monday afternoon the eldest is in a show...

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh NOOOOO! It is a nightmare, isn't it? Good luck with your deadline!

Clare Sudbery said...

Oh God yes, I know that feeling of sending child to school/nursery and then waiting for them to be sent home again... but not on child's insistence, I have to admit.

As for the birthday bit... awww. Bless you!

xxx

Leigh said...

Kids tearful, bad-tempered and over-tired? Oh, not for the first time, I think you must be living my life (only without the I-really-want-to-go-to-school bit).

Good luck with the surge. If distractions threaten, just think of what is to follow these last two weeks of tearful bad-tempered over-tiredness...

Lucy Diamond said...

Hi Clare, hope you are having a good day. My eldest made it through the day surprisingly, but looks awful now...early nights all round, I reckon!

Hi Leigh, I am surging, I am surging! Over 4,500 words written today, yay! Have reached one of the major MAJOR scenes of the book now so am going to leave that for tomorrow...joy!

Lane said...

4,500 words today!! Ceripes! You definitely will do it!

Megan said...

I totally relate! We have a week here before the summer holidays begin - very, very good luck with finishing your current novel! And hope that the eldest gets well soon
m x

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

4500 words, that's great, well done! You can do it, you can do it, ra ra ra (that was me cheerleading) (good thing you don't know what I look like or the mental image could prevent you writing for weeks)

Lucy Diamond said...

Lane - love that ceripes! Might have to nick that as my new catchphrase... Yes, am filled with positive thoughts this morning about writing. Hoorah!

Thanks Megan - one week to go, lucky you, our school seems to break up very late compared with the rest of the country - the kids are dropping like flies with exhaustion!

Thanks Zinnia - shake those pom-poms, girl!

mjmoore said...

Oh I know where you're coming from.. I can't WAIT for term to end! My four year old is worse than ever, and the 9 year old has been acting like a stroppy TEEN!

I still work part time over most of the summer hols, so the still drag off to holiday club twice a week.. but a least for the other three days we can take it easy!

I hope your eldest is ok!

Lucy Diamond said...

Hi Michelle,
Yes, I'm longing for those lazy mornings to start...ahhh, bring them on!