Sunday, 13 July 2008

Busy busy busy

Cor....busy old weekend. A good 'un though. First stop, London on Saturday to meet up with some of the Novel Racers! How exciting...and how enjoyable to chat to so many people whose lives I've followed online for months and months. It was fab putting faces and voices to blog names, and so nice to chat to so many fellow writers about...well, all kinds of interesting stuff, actually... And then JJ nearly made me cry by handing out cards and Waterstones vouchers to me and Kate for starting the whole thing off... very lovely and unexpected. Just a shame that time flew by so quickly and I had to be a Cinderella and leave first...gutted!

Out in the evening to a friend's 40th birthday party in town. Had a really fab night, lots of laughs and dancing and beer. On the way home I realised that it was a year to the day that we'd moved to Bath...and it felt really apt to have had a great night out with lots of new friends to mark the occasion. Hoorah.

Today, went for lunch with a really good friend of my mum's and her husband who happens to be a very famous author. We were sitting in the back garden enjoying the sun and a cup of tea when the garden gate opened and this woman walked in. "My son is such a fan, I hope you don't mind, we've driven all the way from London to see you, can I bring him in to meet you?"
What a cheek, honestly! Sunday afternoon too. So rude and out of order and actually a bit creepy-stalkerish. But the very famous author was incredibly polite, signed various things, had his photo taken etc. Apparently this is the first time it has ever happened which is something, I suppose. But all the same...I wouldn't be very happy about that!

13 comments:

B said...

Was fab to meet you. I read all of Any Way You Want Me on the train home. Loved it hon. I am so looking forward to your next :)

Calistro said...

It was wonderful to meet you too. Gutted I forgot to bring AWYWM for you to sign and Brown Owl's Guide to Life for Kate to sign. Next time!

I think I'd scream if I was a famous author and someone walked into my garden like that (well, they'd have to vault over several fences to get to me so it would definitely be reason to scream!)

CC Devine said...

A busy weekend indeed! Is it really a year since you moved to Bath? Remember reading about the big move and it doesn't seem all that long ago. Arghhhh - time is flashing past!

Lovely to meet you yesterday.

Story about the famous author is v creepy - very good of him to be so agreeable about it.

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh B, cheers! Lovely to meet you too.

Calistro - so nice to have a chat with you - and yes, I agree about the screaming thing... I was astonished how calm the famous author was about the whole thing.

Hi CC - yes, a whole year! Where did those 365 days go?? Lovely to meet you too, sorry didn't get a longer chat. Next time...

KAREN said...

At first I thought, I'd be bloomin' thrilled if someone came up and recognised me and wanted my autograph and a photo...then I realised you were talking about being in their GARDEN! As you say - how very rude!

Lucy Diamond said...

Yes - I would have freaked out, I think. As it was, I kept giving them hard Paddington Bear stares and shooting "Go away" vibes at them... lesser mortals might have quailed and run from the scene but they barely seemed to notice, strangely enough. Grrrr!

B said...

I just read Cally's comment. I would just scream if I was a famous author :)

I am such a loser ;)

Lane said...

Was lovely to meet you! Longer chat next time.

Famous author is a very cool dude to act so graciously. I'd have been tempted to set the dogs on the woman (except the dogs don't know what that means:-)

L-Plate Author said...

Am gutted that I couldn't be there to meet you, bu one day ay?!

Glad you had a great time. x

Lucy Diamond said...

B - have to say when we first got there, I was all "Oooh fab garden" and "Wow, lovely house!" and a bit envious of all the success and accolades this man has had... but after the univited guests incident, I thought, Sod this fame lark for a laugh!

Lane - lovely to meet you too! And definitely need a longer chat, I agree.
Once you get that novel snapped up, you'll have to get your dogs in training to deal with your devoted fans, clearly!

L-Plate - we definitely need to do it again! I am sure we will get together eventually!

Kate.Kingsley said...

Yes, that is certainly a bit creepy & stalkersome! I genuinely would fear to be famous and have peopel think its ok to bare into your life whenever it takes their fancy. But maybe if I had to weight that up against sellign squillions of books I'd find a way to tolerate it. Still, it always strikes me as unfair that success in some careers makes you public property (i.e. actor,writer) but not others.

Leigh said...

You know, if you hadn't posted that, I would never have believed it actually happened. I can't imagine how folk have the gumption/insensitivity/ego to invade other people's privacy like that.

Mind you, if just one person asked for myautograph, I'd be dead chuffed. I'd only need the one, mind.

Lucy Diamond said...

Kate K - yes, the squillions would be nice, wouldn't they? But not worth the garden invaders!

Leigh - can I have your autograph? ;)