Thursday, 19 June 2008

The Sound of Music

I'm feeling a lot more chipper today after a laugh last night with LP trying to decide which music to play at our wedding. We're tying the knot in a big old barn in the countryside, so anything goes.

"Right, we need something that everyone can listen to while they're waiting for the actual marrying bit to start," I said.
"How about The Clash?" LP suggested, sticking on Safe European Home.
"Well, you know, good choice and everything, but I'm not sure our aunts and the more senior guests will enjoy it that much..."
"Oh, they'll love it! All right, how about some reggae? Who could not love Toots and the Maytals?"

Indeed. Meanwhile, I'm trying to think of something brilliant that I can make my entrance to - tottering up the stairs with my dad, trying not to fall over in front of everyone. I'm quite tempted to pick 'Fat-Bottomed Girls' by Queen or something tongue in cheek to make everyone laugh but then remember how the vows go on about what a solemn occasion this is blah blah. So maybe not. I'd really love to walk in to 'Walking Barefoot' by Ash - ahh, I just love that song, it always makes me so happy, but I don't think I'd be able to stop myself singing along at full volume, like I always do. Hmmm. Karaoke queen is perhaps not the right look for a bride.
So maybe 'She Bangs The Drums' by the Stone Roses, another of my all-time faves...but then I would be tempted to do a stupid dancing walk to it... oh, decisions, decisions!

I really think it would be a laugh to have 'Fiesta' by The Pogues as our 'first dance' - you know, it starts off all slow and moody, then turns into a danceable riot and we could go mad to it, but LP is adamant that he doesn't want to do a first dance, so better not....

Ahh, so there you go, planning a wedding is fun after all! Sod the table confetti, let's get some good tunes going, and it'll be great.

11 comments:

girl with the mask said...

In our family weddings are all about getting smashed anyway...

Lane said...

I think an opening with a burst of Rock the Kasbah would be brilliant. Never mind about an ancient aunties - this is for you!

Calistro said...

Oooh I was wondering the other other day what the first song would be at my wedding (if I ever get married. 4 years with the boyf and we haven't even managed to move in together yet!).

Favourite first songs from someone else's wedding: "Protection" by Massive Attack. Lovely!

Lucy Diamond said...

Girl with the mask - too right. Getting smashed and dancing to the Pogues will be the order of the day!

Lane - I like your thinking there - can't beat a bit of "Shah, he don't like it..."!

Calistro - mmm, I was thinking a bit of Massive Attack would be good, and I do LOVE Protection. Unfortunately it has quite sad memories for me...ie weeping after being dumped by an ex. So perhaps not!

wontletlifedefineme said...

Might be a bit too sappy? but have you ever heard Jason Mraz's 'I'm yours'? It's a really happy song and has some really sweet lyrics. :)

Lucy Diamond said...

I don't know that one but thanks for the tip! Sometimes a bit of sappy goes down well at a wedding after all...

Paula said...

I say have what you like, whether it's ridiculously inappropriate or not. It's YOUR day, after all!

Lucy Diamond said...

Absolutely! It's my day - I mean OUR day - and if we want to inflict The Clash on our captive guests then we will!

Kate.Kingsley said...

Choosing the music was about the only bit of wedding planning me & hubby managed to do together without disagreeing! But then again that may be because I 'compromised' (i.e. gave in), which is why we ended up exiting after the ceremony to something from Star Wars.....

Clare Sudbery said...

I vote for Fat-Bottomed Girls and Fiesta!

"Never mind about an ancient aunties - this is for you!"

I agree. And solemn schmolemn. Just cos the vows say that, doesn't mean you have to take the fun out of the whole day.

Lucy Diamond said...

Kate - that is hilarious!! I feel a bit better about some of my choices now!

Clare - I'm also considering a bit of Pigbag! Always good for a dance...