Tuesday, 24 June 2008

Not a real horse

It's my birthday next Monday, and the first thing my three-year-old said when she got back from playgroup with LP at 12 was, "I got your present, Mum, but I'm not going to tell you what it is!"
"Oooh, how exciting," I said, knowing full well how tricky she finds secrets, especially secrets about birthday presents or cakes. "I bet it'll be a lovely surprise."
Her eyes lit up. "It IS a surprise. It's a secret!"

Over the table at lunch time just now:
Daughter: Can I give you your present, Mum?
Me: Well, let's wait until it's my birthday next week. That would be best, wouldn't it?
LP: And remember, we're not going to tell her what it is, are we? Because it's going to be a surprise!
Daughter (a bit gutted - clearly DESPERATE to reveal all): Mmmmmm. (Moments later, cryptically): It's not a REAL horse, is it, Dad? Mum's present. It's not a REAL one.

Either she's a fantastic bluffer or there's some hideous china horse from the charity shop coming my way on Monday. The mind boggles...

10 comments:

CC Devine said...

LOL! I love kids; always itching to share a secret. Hope it's a real gee gee and not something from the charidee shop :)

JJ said...

Oooh, that could be exciting. Are you after a horse? A real one? On reflection perhaps a charity shop horse would be best...

wontletlifedefineme said...

It might be a shetland pony. They're not real horses either.

Kate.Kingsley said...

I'd love to see your face if it is, in fact, a real horse :-)

Debs said...

I can't wait to hear what it is. Bless her. My daughter is exactly the same, she is hopeless at keeping secrets but she's 13.

Lucy Diamond said...

CC Devine - It SO is something from that charidee shop, as I know she and LP will have walked past it on the way back from playgroup. Maybe a nice tasteful horse picture?

JJ - no, not a real one! I am a bit scared of horses. Have never even let one eat grass off my palm, too scared my hand would get munched by those big big teeth...

Won'tletlife - a Shetland pony, hmmm, they are kind of cute... Perhaps it'll be a horse mug. A second-hand horse mug. Mmmmm. Lucky me!

Kate K - she'll have a job wrapping it up, won't she?!

Debs - it's the end of the day and she still hasn't let on! She's doing well... So far...

Clare Sudbery said...

Aw, bless!

I want it to be a real horse, but a tiny Borrowers one, which you can fit in your pocket.

Lucy Diamond said...

YES!!!! I want one of those too. I haven't heard any teeny tiny neighs around the house though so suspect not...

Single Mother on the Verge said...

what a cutey. Perhaps it's one of those pot type shire horses?

Lucy Diamond said...

Mmmm, that would be lovely. Definitely one to accidentally break...!