Monday, 2 June 2008

I Did It!

It was the Race for Life here in Bath yesterday and...I did it! I ran with one of my sisters and we finished the 5km in 33 minutes according to her watch - which is not too shabby a time, is it?

It was an extraordinary experience - so moving, reading all the poignant, often heart-breaking messages on people's backs. People were running for their mums, dads, sisters, grandparents, aunts... It really brought it home to me how many lives are affected by cancer. The atmosphere beforehand was very highly charged, very emotional, but there was also a real buzz of excitement and adrenalin, and it felt as if everyone was revved up for the event. The Nivea boys were there to entertain 'the ladies' with their dance routine (hilarious, especially the two dancers at the back who looked hungover as hell and kept fumbling their moves), and the warm-up from the Rosemary Conley women was ace, and then we were off, along with 2,498 other women, pounding across the start line.

It was quite something, being with so many other runners, so many other women, all emotional, all motivated to run with so many different people in mind. That whole sisterhood feeling really got me - it was exhilarating and inspiring all at once. We were running in the university grounds, a great stream of women wearing pink, different ages, different fitness levels, all in it together, a sea of positive feeling.

By the time we were near the 4km mark, I was feeling really buoyant with excitement - I wasn't out of breath, I felt totally brilliant about running, knowing that we were going to finish it. Lovely Partner and the kids were cheering us on near the end and it gave me a real lift to see them on the sidelines - "Look, there's Mum!". Then we were straight on to the Finish line, me and my sister holding hands as we sprinted over.

I felt so so so proud of myself. Still do. I know it's not the London marathon, I know thousands of women all over the country are running the same event, it's not a unique experience, but it was the first time I've ever done anything like it, and I just felt euphoric. Big pub lunch afterwards and glasses of bubbly last night. Yayyyy!

23 comments:

Caroline said...

Huge congratulations honey - you are right to feel very very proud!

x

Calistro said...

Well done Sue! That sounds like an amazing experience.

Lucy Diamond said...

Thanks Caroline! I wore my runners medal all day yesterday!

Cheers, Calistro - it was fab. Very memorable. Will definitely do it again!

JJ said...

That's so fantastic - it sounds amazing. I'm so glad you enjoyed it too. (Will you race again?)

girl with the mask said...

Well I'd just like to say how admirable it is that not only did you take part, but finished in such wonderful time, too. Well done!

wontletlifedefineme said...

Congratulations!

You deserve to be proud of yourself. :)

DK Leather said...

Wonderful! Well done you!
:-) I'm running mine in 2 weeks, last year I was 50 minutes so well done on 33 minutes! :-) xxx

Lucy Diamond said...

Hi JJ, thanks! Yes, I would definitely run again - that endorphin rush was amazing!

Hi Girl, thank you!!

Hi Marjolein, I am sooo proud and still smiling like a smug thing!

Hi DK Leather and thanks - good luck with your run in a fortnight!

mjmoore said...

Well done! And yes, you deserve to be proud of yourself!

pierre l said...

Well done Lucy!

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I think you're so right to be proud of yourself. It's a real achievement. And made for a great blog post, too - I could feel the atmosphere.

SpiralSkies said...

Wow, that's awesome. Must have been an amazing atmosphere.

Am totally proud of you finishing in such a good time. Marathon next?!

Lucy Diamond said...

Michelle - thank you! :)

Pierre - thank you, too! :)

Cheers Zinnia! I had been dreading it so I'm quite surprised how much I enjoyed it!

Thanks SpiralSkies! Marathon sounds way too scary and beyond my reach. Ditto half-marathon. But a 10k run...maybe...

Clare Sudbery said...

"It was an extraordinary experience - so moving, reading all the poignant, often heart-breaking messages on people's backs."

I felt the same way when I did it a few years ago. I cried during a one-minute silence at the begining, and the whole thing was very much as you describe yours, right down to the partner+sprog cheering me on at the end. Great description.

Lucy Diamond said...

Clare - yes, that one-minute silence was very powerful, wasn't it? Stirring stuff.

Keris said...

Congratulations! Particularly if you managed to do it without wetting yourself, unlike me...

Lucy Diamond said...

Keris!!!! Too much information!!!! But you did make me laugh, so I don't really mind...

L-Plate Author said...

Oh Lucy, well done! I can't believe I missed it! I am so produ of you. And in light of your next post, I'm off to do a handstand too! xx

L-Plate Author said...

produ, that's a funny word to make up. I'm so PROUD of you! x

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh thanks, L-Plate, for being produ! I'm sure I'll be saying the same about you when you whizz through your run!

Jane Henry said...

Oh way to go Lucy!!! We'll make a marathon runner of you yet!

33 mins is a really good time for a novice runner - ten minute miles me dear, which is a lot better then I do most of the time. The serious bods all run 8 min miles, but we know we're not going there (at least I do! but I am older then you!)

I agree about the emotional side. I had a good friend who died of cancer ten years ago, so I've cried both times I've done it. Particularly last year when I came over the line with my two big girls.

Ours is 29 June, and ALL my lot are doing it, but the little ones are walking with a friend.

Many congrats. Fired up for the marathon yet????

Lucy Diamond said...

Jules ha ha there is no way I am going near a marathon, unless it's a chocolate bar! Perhaps a 10k run next year though...
Good luck with your run on the 29th. Hope the girls are all set!

depchaick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.