Saturday, 14 June 2008

A book splurge

I dragged the kids into town today for some Father's Day purchases and accidentally found myself stumbling into a book shop while I was there. Well...you know how it is. I've been VERY good lately, haven't bought a book for ages so I had a little splurge.

First up was the lovely Kate Harrison's new book, The Secret Shopper's Revenge - with the most gorgeous slip cover I've ever seen on a hardback. It's a bag - how cool is that! I am lucky enough to have had a sneak preview of the first few chapters which are fab, but have been left dangling with anticipation ever since. This one is definitely going straight to the top of the TBR pile!

Next... The Gathering by Anne Enright. It's the next one for our book group. I've heard tell from another book group that everyone struggled with it but had the best conversation about it EVER. In fact, apparently they came to the conclusion that they hadn't just read the book, "the book had read them". Spooky! So that was enough to make me want to read it on its own.

I also bought the new Rose Tremain one, The Road Home. I really like her books - always very stylishly written and about such a wealth of different subjects. I didn't even read the blurb to find out what this one's about, just bought it. (Well, you can't hang around when you've got kids in tow, after all, the days of slow bookshop browsing are gone for me, I'm more of a heat-seeking missile in there these days, zooming straight to the ones I have to buy...)

I also wanted Garden Spells after its rave review on Trashionista the other week but it seemed to have sold out. So my son suggested making up the 3 for 2 with the new Captain Underpants book for him. And then, of course, I found myself suckered into buying all the kids a new book each. So rather a lot of spending, all in all. But what price on a good read? I have just read Rowan Coleman's new one, The Accidental Wife, and would have paid double for it, it was so brilliant.

So I'm looking forward to many happy hours reading that lot. In between cheering on Holland, of course. The lads in orange have only gone and done it again, last night, haven't they?! Why didn't I put my money where my mouth is at the start of the tournamet and put down a whopping great bet??

7 comments:

Pacha said...

I need to go to amazon and buy lots of books RIGHT NOW! I want all the books you mentionned too...and now that you've mentionned them I HAVE to have them. Italian book shops just aren't the same!

girl with the mask said...

Oh to be privy to cash enough for splurging...

Maddie Moon said...

Ha ha, I know that feeling. I'm sure hubby-to-be will love his pressies!!

Lucy Diamond said...

Pacha!!!! Are you blogging again? It is so nice to see your picture there, ahh I've missed you. Hope you enjoy your book shopping anyway. And how's life??

Girl, quick, put a bet on Holland. You'll be quids in then!

Maddie, I think that book shops exert a strange magnetic pull on me. I am helpless when it comes to resistance!

JJ said...

Oh god, I LOVED The Gathering. It sounds like a fab shopping trip.

Lucy Diamond said...

Ooh JJ, really? That's good to hear!

Jaywalker said...

The Rose Tremain rocks too.

My Dutch colleague is really really untypically cheerful what with the football thing. She hasn't been rude about my outfit for, ooh, days. Unheard of. Go Holland!