Wednesday, 11 June 2008

Backstory wrestling

It's the final of The Apprentice tonight...hooray!!
But I'm going to miss it, as I've got book group tonight...boo! Not boo to book group although I must confess I didn't like this month's book very much (ended up skimming the last third, never a good sign) but boo to missing out on a Britons-united-on-their-sofas event. It's not the same watching it on tape, is it? You need to be there, oohing and ahhing with the nation as Surallan points the finger for one last time. I'm just going to have to watch it as soon as I stumble drunkenly into the house tonight, I don't care how late it'll be, and I don't care that I'll have a school run in the morning, I need to watch it before some big-gob spills the beans tomorrow and tells me who got hired. I want Claire to win although I quite like winking Lee too. And Alex is very sweet, I find myself wanting to ruffle his hair. Even Helene's all right. Ooh, it could go to any of em. Excellent!

What a saddo I am. Enough of my telly witterings. I'm working on the novel today, have just passed the 75,000 word mark which is good, and feel like I've finally pinned down the backstory for one of my main characters. It has been troubling me, especially as it is CRUCIAL to the plot. I have tied myself in knots, inventing all sorts of complicated traumatic experiences for the poor women, but have decided to red-pen them all in favour of a more simplified version that will hopefully justify some of the weird things she goes on to do. Cryptic, eh. I have been getting bogged down in it though, so am hoping that I've got it straight at last. Right - better get back to it before I change my mind again...

12 comments:

wontletlifedefineme said...

He, if you need a test-reader at some point let me know - anything to get away from the books I have to read for my studies ;) somehow it becomes less fun when it's obligatory. Is it the same with writing?

JJ said...

Ooh, I do envy you some decent tv. It's all awful here. All repeats or they change the schedule just as i get hooked on something!

Can you tell us what the book was you didn't like?

mjmoore said...

I'm even letting Beth (aged 9) stay up tonight to watch it, as there's no way she'll get through tomorrow without finding out who won! (Does that make me a bad mummy?!)

CC Devine said...

Have fun with that red pen!

girl with the mask said...

I'm with Marjolein on the test-reader pitch!

Lucy Diamond said...

Hi Marjolein - thanks for the offer! And yes, sometimes writing feels more like 'a job' than 'fun' - but I'm still glad to have it as my job, I can't complain...

Hi JJ - Hmmm... I don't really want to slag a book off on t'internet so had better keep it to myself. Sorry!

Michelle - that makes you an excellent mummy in my eyes! Hope she enjoyed it. Claire was robbed if you ask me but there you go...

Hi CC - my red pens are standing by for my action today!

Hi Girl with the Mask - thanks for pitching... I don't really have 'test readers' though - but if I ever change my mind, you and Marjolein are top of my list, okay?!

Edward said...

Gee, why not slag a book off on t'internet? Everyone's doing it (The Eyre Affair is rubbish, m'kay? Sorry, couldn't resist). Can't agree with you about Clur on The Apprentice though - pure poison, despite her leopard-spot hiding activities, whereas Lee was an all-round good geezer plus he needed it more than her, plus I couldn't bear the thought of her doing a reverse pterodactyl - well, not in that dress anyway.

Lucy Diamond said...

No, Edward, no, slagging books off on the internet is not the done thing...I have been on the receiving end of it at times and it's horrible!
Agree that Lee needed to win more but I really think that Clare did a better job throughout the whole series and deserved to win... Ahh well. I'm sure someone will snap her up quick.

JJ said...

You are absolutely right - it's not okay. (Tell me in London next month, and I promise I'll keep my mouth shut!)

Lucy Diamond said...

It's a deal!

L-Plate Author said...

I find it really strange how a mind sits back and won't do anything for you until it has worked out the right things. Strange but it always works out for the better.

Good luck with the red pen and the rest of writing until you reach The End. xx

Lucy Diamond said...

Thanks, L-Plate! I think I have cracked it now after another wrestling match on Friday...till the next time, anyway!