Thursday, 26 June 2008

Back-handed compliments from my seven-year-old daughter

Part 9718, in an everlasting series:

Daughter [having watched me blow-drying hair, her head tilted on one side, her eyes pitying]: Your hair is definitely growing longer, Mum. By the time you get married, it might even look nice again!

Me [crushed]: Thanks, love... [weeps into mirror]

Moving swiftly on... here's another meme, this one from the lovely Leigh:

What were you doing 10 years ago?
Living in Brixton with the LP, working at the BBC, going out every night and having lots of disposable income (sob)

Five things on your to-do list for today:
Write next chapter of Novel 3
School pick-up
Cook tea
Sit and have a beer in garden with LP once kids are in bed
Heroes

What are three of your bad habits?
Losing my temper
Losing my marbles
Losing the car keys

What would you do if you were a billionaire?
Oh, don't get me STARTED...

What are some snacks you enjoy?
Cadbury's Fruit and Nut
Kettle Chips
Grapes
Cheese and Marmite sandwiches

What were the last five books you read?
The Secret Shopper's Revenge - Kate Harrison
The Accidental Wife - Rowan Coleman
Seizure - Erica Wagner
Mothernight - Sarah Stovell
Daughters of Jerusalem - Charlotte Mendelson

What are five jobs you have had?
Shop assistant
Barmaid
Seed-planter
Editor
Subtitler

Five places that you have lived?
Nottingham
Leeds
Oxford
London
Sydney

Okay, I'm going to tag Clare, Girl With A Mask, Pacha, Calistro and L-Plate. Over to you, ladies...

11 comments:

Pacha said...

Oh! Thanks for the tag...shall get to it! (although it involves remembering...and I'm not sure I do!)

Daughter is probably just repeating something you said. I'm sure your hair always looks nice!

Everyone's three bad habits are mine. I seem to have a lot of bad habits!

Caroline said...

Aren't kiddies lurve-ly! :)

Seed-planter?
Why did that make me giggle?

x

girl with the mask said...

Bless your daughter. The worst thing a child has ever said to me is 'why are you wearing a dressing gown?' when I had on my beautiful 1970's, calf-length cream wool vintage coat. I could have cried! Will investigate meme... x

Lucy Diamond said...

Pacha - I know what you mean about the remembering...one of those memes is quite old. Ahem.

Caroline - because you have a filthy mind, that's why!
It was all quite innocent thank you very much, planting pumpkin seeds all day long in Queensland...

Girl With The Mask - ouch. They sure know how to make you wince, those pesky kids.

mjmoore said...

Aww.. kids have such a way with words, don't they?! (I'm sure your hair looks just fine!)

Lucy Diamond said...

Michelle - yes, so delightfully honest, aren't they??! Always there to tell it like it is...whether you want to hear it or not!

L-Plate Author said...

Ohmigod, now you are really going to know how 'Stokie' I am when you read it. Five places I have lived? I am so un-cultured. I'll have a go at the weekend xx

Debs said...

Dear little thing, they would be devastated if they knew how much their words hurt sometimes.

My daughter once said, "I prefer you when you're fat." I think she was trying to make me feel better. Bless, it didn't work.

Single Mother on the Verge said...

Marmite!!! not marmite! Does LP like marmite too, or do you threaten him with marmite kisses?

Lucy Diamond said...

Lplate - five areas of Stoke will do, non? Five streets?

Debs - ouch, I can see why that comment didn't go down well! Kindly meant I'm sure but... still ouch!

Smotv - oh god YES to Marmite! Delicious. LP's partial to a bit as well (of Marmite too, boom boom) so I say, let the Marmite snogs begin!

Let'go said...

forumlinkbuilding.com reviewsclases particulares inglesI sometimes do that myself.? Most of my landscapes are done just from memory. Thanks for sharing this video :)
hola! me encantan tus trabajos, son muy finos y bonitos. Y me gusta especialmente el cuadro grande de Beatrix Potter. Mi amiga va a tener un bebé y me encantaría hacerlo para regalarselo. Podrías mandarme el esquema? mi mail es lerk73@hotmail.com.