Thursday, 15 May 2008

Running, crying, gasping, maybe even working

I've just come back from the gym having run a mighty 4km on the treadmill - my furthest ever! C'MOOOOOONNNNNNN! (in a macho back-slapping City Boy styley). I have really had my ups and downs with running - was all set to pack the whole thing in at the start of the week, went into a real 'I'll never be able to do it!' spiral but now... now I think I might just pull it off. Go, me!
My sponsorship has topped £200 too which I am so chuffed about - and it makes the whole thing seem all the more worthwhile having watched Child of Our Time last night. Oh my God - did you see it? I always watch it as my eldest was born in 2000, the same year as all the featured children, so I'm always really interested to see how they're all getting along. Last night's programme was about children dealing with stress, which I find very sad anyway but oh, it was just a heart-wrencher. I burst into tears when that announcement came at the end. Very very sad.

I am actually going to do some *gasp* work today (haven't quite begun yet but hey...). I'm starting the final story in a six-book children's series I've been writing for Usborne. This is my first sequential series, so I'm quite excited about reaching the finale, it's going to be an all-action finish (she says hopefully). All six books will be coming out at once next spring and there's even talk of *another gasp* sparkly writing on the covers. Oooh. Like the sound of that.

Ahhh - there's the grindstone starting up, I believe. Must go and press my schnoz against it immediately...

14 comments:

Calistro said...

I love that series and I don't have any children. I was astonished at how mature some of the children were and so clever. And yes, like you my heart broke at the end. :o( I really, really thought that £15K operation was going to save her.

In happier news - well done on the 4K run. That's brilliant! And sparkly covers? Ooooooh!

Helen said...

I'm jealous that you can run. Oh well, ony about nine or ten months then I can get back to it. (Yes I could do it now but I think I'd puke!)

Lucy Diamond said...

Calistro - I know, I thought the same. And the way her daughter was dealing with her illness was just so poignant and moving...oh Gawd, I'm going to be off again in a minute. All very sad.

Helen - if it makes you feel better, I am jealous of you not being able to run! Hope the puking eases off soon though.

Sarah Ball said...

Ahh, me too on both counts, having a child born in 2000 (my son) and sobbing at the end of Child of my Time, so sad! Then I remembered the teacher saying that thing about the silver fish and the wave and I started myself off all over again! Very inspiring little girl though...
Well done with the running, I just treated myself to a Reebok i-run, because it folds up and fits under the bed, was quite gutted to see the distance I ran when it arrived today but am all fired up, can't wait to be able to do 4K!

wontletlifedefineme said...

Ooooh sparkly writing! :)

Right, off you go then. (says the fellow procrastinator who should really be working on her American literature paper right now)

Kate.Kingsley said...

I cried too :-(.

Poor Eve, such a positive wee thing, bless her.

Well done on the 4k! Those little milestones make it all worthwhile. And well done on the sponship too ~ thays fantastic!

Lucy Diamond said...

Sarah - yes, that bit about swimming over the wave - her little face, bless her, I just wanted to give her a hug. Poor thing.
Good luck with your running!

Won'tletlifedefineme - have hardly written a word today. Pathetic. Don't think the grindstone is working very well... hope you're making better progress than me!

Kate - :( I was glad for Eve that her dad seemed such a lovely bloke. And the school seemed to be handling it very sensitively. But all the same... :(

JJ said...

Oh dear that all sounds really sad. I'm such a coward - even more since I had my own children. Our posh lunch today was to support a charity that provides facial surgery to kids in Thailand with cleft palates and cleft lips. They showed a video before lunch and i thought I was going to bawl ...

Fab on the running, though.

B said...

WELL DONE on the 4k! You will romp home in R4L :)

L-Plate Author said...

I cried too, it was awful!

Lucy, the Bloke from Stoke has 'challenged' me to run aroung a reservior that we have near by. We went for a walk around some of it in the warm weather at the weekend and he bet me, wait for it, £100 that I couldn't do it by September. Well, £100 is a lot of shoes! There is a 1.9 mile short run to build up to and then 4.8 mile run around the whole lot. He's going to do it with me.

Am I nuts!

Glad to see your training is going well x

Lucy Diamond said...

JJ, it was very sad, stay away from the sadness, I say. Your posh lunch sounds a bit on the emotional side too...

b - thank you!!!

L-Plate - ooh, 100 smackers, that's got to be worth it. Great motivation for that running, just think of the shopping spree, with the Bloke from Stoke having to cough up for all those nice things! You can do it...I want progress reports, mind!

wontletlifedefineme said...

I haven't made more progress... didn't study at all today. But I still feel quite accomplished: I attended a 3-hour tribal fusion bellydance workshop tonight! It was so much fun and my throat ache seems to get less while I'm dancing.

-Marjolein

girl with the mask said...

Sparkly writing on the cover? That is ace.

(p.s. when I run my thighs chafe, so I don't do it. Well done you!)

Lucy Diamond said...

Marjolein - a three-hour belly-dancing workshop!!! Now that's not something you do every day. Did you get to wear a funky outfit?

Girl with a mask - I know. I do love a bit of sparkly writing - the world is a better place for it!