Wednesday, 28 May 2008

On being wrong

Well, I finished On Beauty last night - I actually stayed up late because I just had to get to the last page - and I loved it. Just loved it. Oh, it's fantastic - great characters, fabulous drama (especially the conflict scenes - she's soooo good at them), wonderfully rich, meaty plot with all its parallels and interweaving storylines. So there you go. Lesson learned. Do Not Be Scared Of Books. When's the next one coming out, then, Zadie?

I'm working today - I had intended to get back to the novel this morning after a few weeks away from it but have been caught up with my girly children's series instead - second draft of Book 4 to read through and send off, first draft of Book 6 to check over and send off, copy-edit of Book 3 to read and okay, and now there's a second draft of Book 5 to work on.... I feel quite under pressure with my partner's job ending on Friday and being the sole earner from then on, for however long. Must keep everything ticking over otherwise it'll be cheese on toast and home-brew all round at the wedding, and I'll have to start making the children's shoes myself.

Talking of high-flying business people (as we weren't), did you see the Apprentice last night? Thank God Michael got the boot at last. I like all the remaining five although I reckon Lucinda and Helene will be on their way out next. And the interview week next week! I always like that bit - something quite enjoyable about seeing someone else sweat their way through gruelling interview questions when you're safe on your own sofa.

Next book to take off the TBR pile is the book group one - Seizure by Erica Wagner. Not one I'd have chosen in a shop, to be honest, despite the striking cover. (Striking but rather odd nonetheless.) Anyone read it? "Beautifully written but dense," one of the other book group members has said to me. "Not one that you can skim through." Damn....

11 comments:

JJ said...

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it. It's been languishing on my TBR pile since ... I think I may even have the hardback (Oh Gawd) ... well forever. I will read it soon.

Lane said...

Glad you enjoyed it.

Hope you've recovered for the camping:-)

Lucy Diamond said...

Do, JJ! It is surprisingly enjoyable.

Hi Lane, we have recovered, thanks. I do love my creature comforts!

girl with the mask said...

Yay! You liked it! You really liked it!

Lucy Diamond said...

I really really did! And it's all down to you, my new book guru... I owe you one!

girl with the mask said...

*huge smile*

Milla said...

good good, glad you enjoyed it. Have you read The Little Friend, by Donna (The Secret HIstory) Tartt. That's good too. Loved your Ian McEwan thing further down. Camping sounds vile, can't bear it, far too much of a princess. LOVE th Apprentice (apart from ghastly Michael). Try this:http://rotwatch.blogspot.com/
he writes about The APprentice each week, in amongst other stuff, so you have to go down a bit to find it.

mjmoore said...

I hate leaving a random comment, which isn't relevant to the post, just to tell you've been tagged.

But..

You've been tagged! :)
http://mjmoore.wordpress.com/2008/06/01/tagged-again-authors/

CC Devine said...

It's still on my TBR pile. Love it when a book is so utterly unputdownable!

Lucy Diamond said...

GWM - *smile and double thumbs-up*

Milla - Ahh yes, I liked The Little Friend very much even though the reviews were lukewarm. And cheers for the tip re Apprentice blog, I will seek it out immediately!

Hi Michelle - I will get on the case!

Hi CC - yes, I love that feeling too. Am currently reading something that is very 'putdownable' ie I have to really brace myself to read it and it feels like it's taking me forever to get through. I hate to give up on a book but...

Clare Sudbery said...

Speaking of striking but odd covers...

I remember you waxing lyrical about the cover of Mothernight (currently sitting on my TBR pile), which is indeed beautiful, but... what on earth is going on in it? At first I thought it was a graphic image of child abuse (when I saw it on Amazon, very small), and I still can't work out whether the mother-figure is about to stab the younger woman while she kneels at a grave. All rather gothic. Presumably it makes more sense when you read the book?