Wednesday, 23 April 2008

I feel the earth move...

So I know what you're all wondering. How's the running going?
Well. It was going great - until I got my first ever sports injury. Ouch. I don't know what I was doing wrong but my knee started to really hurt every time I put my foot down. Which was quite inconvenient really.
I googled "knee pain running" and found all sorts of very technical sites about anatomy and running techniques and words like 'pronating' which I had to look up in the dictionary and...oh, it was bewildering, to be honest. Too much information. Didn't understand. Too complicated.
Anyway, I was plunged into doom and gloom - ohhh, I'll never be able to do it now! etc and had to return to a go-slow and wear a stretchy knee bandage which has all been a bit dispiriting.
Today, though, I ran for 22 minutes on the treadmill and managed 3.43 km which made me feel better. So I am aiming to build up to 4km by the end of next week, and then hopefully I will be on for 5km by 1st June...

For all that, though, I still haven't braved it into the outside world. It's stupid but I'm slightly worried that the sight of my tomato face will reduce infants to sobs of fear, my thunderous thighs will make Bath Abbey sway and tumble to the ground and people everywhere will point and stare at me. Lovely Partner has been very encouraging and has persuaded me to go running with him this Friday morning while our youngest is at playgroup but he is like a lean, lithe greyhound whereas I am more of your fat Labrador that's been at the Easter Eggs.
*sigh* Wish me luck. And if you see news reports that Bath Abbey has plunged to destruction on Friday, don't let on that it was me.

PS I've got a new children's book out this week - Happy Birthday Oliver Moon! which Amazon are selling for a rather tasty £2.99... a bargain, frankly!

12 comments:

B said...

Sorry to hear about the knee pain. That is not good. I think you said you went to get proper running shoes when you started? If so it's unlikely to be related to pronation as they should have given you shoes that counteract any tendency you have to do that. If it was a good *running* (rather than sports) shop, why not pop back and ask if they have any ideas they can explain in plain english?

Also, if you want moral support, check out the runner's world forum for beginners - they are very friendly and cater even for walk-runners so won't make you feel bad, they will in fact tell you how good you are (of course i haven't been on in about 6 months but i doubt they have changed too much!). Click here.

Also, well done - you have come really far, literally too ;)

Well done on the children's book too - all the good children's books out at the mo make me wish i had kids to buy them for ;)

Debs said...

Poor you with your knee. I hurt mine last year though I'm not sure how as I'm certainly not athletic.

I'll be doing the 5k on 8th June and shall be one of the walkers as running and I rarely mix and usually need extra incentive like running to catch a plane, after children or into a book shop before it closes.

Lucy Diamond said...

Thank you so much, b! The RW forum looks great - definitely one to join so cheers for the tip.
And I hadn't thought of asking for advice at the running shop - that's a really good idea. I'll see what they say. Thanks again!

Debs - lol at your reasons for running! I'm glad you have the stamina to make it through those closing book-shop doors - that's the main thing!

Kate.Kingsley said...

Congrats on the new book!

Sppokily, I genuinely was just wondering how the running was going! Knee injury sounds a bit grim ,but hopefully it'll be nothing serious or long-lasting. When i first started running I was plagued by all sorts of niggles and odd pians, but they fizzled out after a while. I think my body was rebelling after years of sedentariness!

Other than the knee thing you soudn like you're doing great! Keep on running......

PS: running in public isn't as scary as you think, honest.

Kate.Kingsley said...

PPS ~ please excuse my ATROCIOUS spelling in that previous comment ~ fingers quicker than brain!

Lucy Diamond said...

Awww cheers Kate! Maybe my body is having a rebellious moment too! Let's hope it gets me through tomorrow's public humiliation session anyway...

Leigh said...

Knees are buggers, aren't they.
Good running shoes (with air pockets, or whatever they call them), and keep off the tarmac if you can...

And Good Luck on Friday!
(You'll be fine. The babies will be crying at the sight of the scary lean-greyhound man, not the nice mummy-like lady.)

Lucy Diamond said...

Ahhhhh....well, I'm back, awash with endorphins after running with Super-Fit Lovely Partner along the riverbank. It was great. Hardly a soul out there, just a few dog-walkers. I really enjoyed it surprisingly, even though I know S-F LP usually runs about twice as fast as we went but hey ho. I ran outside! And nothing went wrong!

B said...

glad to hear it!

also the visual verification letters have got REALLY hard to read :(

Lucy Diamond said...

Cheers - and I know what you mean about those letters. I often have to type them in a few times before I get them right!

Mary said...

I’ve just discovered your blog through authorsblogs.com. Love it!

Sorry to hear about your knee. When I run, it’s my weak ankles that suffer. I was shocked when my last ‘injury’ was diagnosed as aggravated arthritis.

Your new Oliver Moon book sounds GREAT! :)

Lucy Diamond said...

Hello and welcome Mary! Sorry to hear about your ankles - that sounds a bit scary. I dunno...we try and get some exercise and end up wrecking various parts of our bodies. That can't be right!