Thursday, 24 April 2008

Books and more books and some telly too

Ooer, I’ve just done one of those impulse Amazon orders. You know where you dreamily add all sorts of things to your basket and then have a sod-it moment and buy the lot? Well, I’ve just gone and done exactly that. I’ve ordered Mothernight by Sarah Stovell, which looks and sounds fabulous, Rowan Coleman’s new one, The Accidental Wife which I am sure will be brilliant, two Goldfrapp CDs, some bits and bobs for the kids… Ahem. Must stop doing that just-can’t-resist thing on Amazon, especially as my To Be Read pile already resembles a small mountain…

I’m currently reading Mister Pip. I know, I know, you’ve all read it already and I’m the only person left in the world who hasn't yet… But ooh, isn’t it good? So vibrant and rich and beautiful. It’s the first title of a new book group I’m in so I’ve got to finish it by our meeting next Monday and think of some clever-sounding things to say about it other than “Oooh, isn’t it good?” It is fab to be in a book group again, I have to say. Wine, kettle chips, lovely new friends, gossip and oh yeah, a bit of chat about books. What more could you wish for?

PS I am very excited about tonight…Heroes is back on the box, and I’ve got last night’s Apprentice Sky-Plussed too as I was down the boozer and missed it. Ahhh – what a perfect night in!

9 comments:

Sarah*G* said...

Oh I love Heroes! It is going to be Sky+ but I will watch it too. Nobody better phone me!

Calistro said...

Mothernight is excellent. Good buy! I got a proof copy and I just couldn't put it down. It's dark and claustrophobic but just so gripping. I'm sure you'll love it.

Am hoping to get Rowan's new book to read on the train on the way to Manchester on Saturday :o)

Lucy Diamond said...

Sarah*g* - oooh, good, wasn't it?? I am hooked already.

Calistro, I am soooo gutted I won't be at the Novel Racers' meet on Saturday. Have fun though. Really can't wait to read Mothernight now after reading your comment!

L-Plate Author said...

I'm a Heroes fan, I love it! It's just so different.

Glad to see you back Lucy, hope everything in your world is good xx

Angie said...

I haven't read Mister Pip yet (*hangs head in shame*), but it does look good, so I'm glad to hear it is good.
I love Amazon sprees. It's so exciting when the box arrives, isn't it!

Lucy Diamond said...

Hi L-Plate, it's good to be back!

Hi Angie, after my "Ooh isn't it good?" about Mr Pip, it suddenly got very shocking and horrible...and I'm not sure the ending works. But overall still a good read, don't let that put you off!

mjmoore said...

I also haven't read Mr Pip - I've been a bit snowed under with review books.

Which is good, of course.. but I still miss being able to choose my own books!

Marjolein said...

I keep telling myself once my royalties for my freelance work come in I can have one of those spending sprees. I'm sticking to just creating wish lists at the moment...

And Goldfrapp is amazing.

Lucy Diamond said...

Michelle - hope the pile of review copies is a bit smaller soon... I do recommend Mr Pip if you have time - and it's only a short book!

Hi Marjolein - yes, wish lists are quite comforting, aren't they? Just be careful not to go near that 1-Click thingy though!