Sunday, 9 March 2008

That was the week that was...

Ahhh.....what a week. I had four school talks to do on Thursday and Friday which all had to be pitched at different ages...gaahhhh. I am still a bit of a novice at public speaking so felt a bit stressed and prepared like mad for it beforehand, but I think they all went swimmingly - and it was actually great fun brainstorming ideas for characters with 150 kids or so at a time. "God, you're brave," said one of the teachers to me afterwards. No - just foolish, I think, but we all had a laugh doing it. I tell you what, though, I was so knackered by the end of Friday afternoon, how do teachers do that all day, every day?
Before that, it was Lovely Partner's birthday (21 again) and we made him a surprise birthday cake - well, I say 'surprise' but you know what kids are like.
"Dad, we've made a surprise for you, I'll give you a clue, it begins with 'C' and you can eat it," eldest daughter said cryptically.
"And it's a cake," youngest daughter said, slightly less cryptically.

We've just had a weekend in Center Parcs as a birthday treat which was fab - I know people sans enfants probably think that would be hell on earth but it was great. Lots of screaming down waterslides by day, and way too much booze by night. I am now anticipating coming down with something vile, having accidentally swallowed loads of water while I was showing off to the kids doing handstands etc in the pool but never mind.

Right - am fit for nothing but reading the papers and watching Lost now. Night all...

12 comments:

mjmoore said...

I'm glad it went so well, and that you had a good weekend. Also hope you're enjoying Lost! :)

Rosie said...

Oh my goodness Centre Parcs - love it! Without children it would make no sence but with a 4 year old in tow it's perfect. We go to Sherwood Forest every year.

Public speaking - absolutely no way!

JJ said...

Oh dear yes, how all our snobbish values disappear the instant we want a holiday and have rugrats!
JJx

Kelly said...

Terribly brave of you to speak in front of so many children...I confess it would be that and not the speaking that would terrify me...

Lane said...

Giving a talk to adults is one thing. To children it is brave!
Glad it all went well and also had a sooper dooper weekend:-)

Love how your children keep a secret:-)

Lucy Diamond said...

Cheers Michelle - ooh, and Lost was good, wasn't it? Ben has got to be one of the most sinister characters on TV...huge sympathy for Juliet last night!

Yay, Rosie, another Center Parcs fan! My kids were absolutely shattered this morning though - it's the first time EVER I have had to wake all three of them up, at 7.30 as well! Why can't they do that at weekends?

JJ - I know, tragic, isn't it? One day, we'll be holidaying in glamorous places again, when the kids are old enough to do their own thing...but for now, it's bring on the rugrat holiday camps!

Hi Kelly, I used to have a real terror of public speaking and put off doing anything like this for years because I was convinced I would get up there in front of the audience, turn bright red and not be able to speak. I actually went to an EFT practitioner to sort it out - and it worked. Now I feel spookily calm when I'm up there - I actually enjoy it, and I never ever thought I'd say that... Nice to have it all over with, though, I must say!

Lane, honestly, it was the worst-kept secret ever! And what made it even funnier was that our youngest kept saying, "And Dad, when we give you the cake, I will say, 'Surprise surprise!'" You've gotta laugh...

Pacha said...

"And it's a cake." --- Make me laugh soooo much!

You ARE brave and very clever to have brainstormed with so many children! Brilliant. I was a nursery school teacher and it is exhausting --- especially when you come home to more small children. I found I had a lot more patience with other peoples kids though --- unfortunately for my own ;)

I had a fun weekend sliding down snow slopes too!!! I think I actually had more fun than the kids.

Young hubby you have there;) A belated happy birthday to him from us over here in Italy

Fiona said...

I am very impressed with the handstands in the pool but even more impressed with your public speaking.
I have a lisp which gets worse as I grow more nervous so I'd sound like Violet Elizabeth if I tried.

Lucy Diamond said...

Hi Pacha, glad you had a good weekend. Now I think about it, I'm sure the teacher who said, "You're very brave" was actually saying "YOU ARE MAD" in a polite way. And yes, I definitely have more patience with other people's kids. I am Witch from Hell with mine sometimes (sigh).

Oh Fiona, at last, someone who is impressed by my handstands! :) Sadly nobody who actually witnessed them was quite so impressed... :(
Ahh well. At least online you can pretend to be athletic!

mjmoore said...

Lost has been very good this series.. I really expected a gentle moment with Ben, saying he loved her.. when he said 'you're mine!', it was brilliant - evil man!

I forgot to say how much the cake comments from your little ones made me laugh. They're terrible with secrets, aren't they! LOL

(I don't have much patience with my own kids either - maybe we should swap for a while?! hehe)

Lucy Diamond said...

Ooh yes, that "You're MINE!" was so horrible. He just gives me the creeps, that man, the stuff of nightmares!

quan said...

executive sales trainingcopywritinginsofar as his recollections—part personal (the titular Inglourious Basterds stalk their German victims with knives like the psychopaths who terrified a young Tarantino in The Last House on the Left), part historical (Tarantino affords much banter about popular culture, once again, but it is confined strictly to figures of the time period such as Max Linder and the film