Saturday, 1 March 2008

Smashing

Ahhh, the choking smell of old plaster dust is in the air tonight, as Lovely Partner has been smashing down a wall. Our house has been chopped about a bit in its past - it was two flats at one point, but it's also had rooms split in two, doors put in different places etc... Anyway, after a post-Christmas lull we have swung into DIY action again, making plans and getting quotes for building work which feels quite exciting. And when I came back from the gym this morning, there was 'Im Indoors with a whopping great crowbar, pulling down a stud wall (and enjoying himself far too much). Light now streams through to this part of the house where before the window was blocked by the stupid stud wall, so that's fab...just a shame the room is now filled with dusty rubble and there are electrical cables dangling like jungle vines from the ceiling. Hmmmm...

I did a bit more running at the gym today - ahhh, such a high afterwards, endorphins a-go-go or what. Nice Manager clocked that I was actually running on the treadmill instead of my usual fast-walking (I am such a saddo, I actually squeaked, "Look! I'm running!" at him, ahem). Anyway, Nice Manager was v encouraging - in fact, he started saying did I know about the Race for Life in June, and had I thought about going for it? Well, I hadn't until then but do you know what... I might do it. Ooooh. Now there's a challenge.

Lovely Partner has now buggered off to a mate's 40th birthday bash in London overnight and may not be in a fit state for anything tomorrow, so we had Mother's Day today - which meant I was brought a grand total of five hand-made cards this morning (the girls made two each) and daffodils, and have had a very easy, leisurely time of it all day - reading the newspaper in bed, going to the gym, being taken out for lunch, shopping ALONE in town....ahhh bliss.

Must just tell you this before I sign off - we've bought this big exercise book for the kids to write in their favourite bits of the day every day (or for us to write on their behalf). Thursday was the first day we tried it and our eldest started it off. I was expecting her just to put down one sentence, but she was writing away for ages, and this is what she put:

Hi, I'm Hannah! What, you forgot my name already? Ok, ok, I'm here to tell you my favourite bit of the day. Well, that would be... mmmm.... Ok, I've got it. Wanna guess? It was getting praise from my teacher, Mrs B!

How sweet is that? I reckon that girl's a born storyteller, you know. Mind you, I've just noticed she's written Holly's so-called best bit of yesterday: Holly: my favourite bit was picking up my great siblings from school...
Yeah, right! Cheeky minx!

12 comments:

Pacha said...

What a good idea! The favourtie part of the day book I mean. Although the smashing down a wall bit sounds lovely too (the cleaning up/tidying up after not so much)...

Glad you had a lovely day. Happy Mother's Day! (Hope you get spoilt again tomorrow anyway!)

Lucy Diamond said...

Hi Pacha, happy Mother's Day yourself! Hope you are being showered with treats!
I hope we carry on with the Favourite Part of the Day Book - it will be so nice to look over in years to come if it's full of happy moments - that's the plan anyway...
x

Pacha said...

Not Mothers Day here in Italy! (We have it sometime in April/May here)...Hope you're having a lovely lovely day!

mjmoore said...

Just thought I'd wish you a Happy Mother's Day.. and tell you I LOVED the book! :) Review will follow soon!

Rosie said...

Could be the start of a bestseller!! I'm impressed with your gym exploits, I'd thought of the Race for Life myself, may dig out my old trainers and scare the neighbours with a leisurely stroll.

Lucy Diamond said...

Pacha - sorry - not very with it! Hope you had a good weekend anyway.

Michelle - thank you! Hope you had a nice birthday/Mother's Day - and I'm so chuffed you like the book!

Hello Rosie - do it, scare those neighbours, you know you want to! I think I'm going to enter...gulp...

Debs said...

Isn't it amazing how much they love knocking down those walls.

The book sounds like a fun idea and something to keep after they've filled it up.

L-Plate Author said...

Hi Lucy, I did the race for life last year. Be prepared to cry if you do, it is one of the most emotional things I have ever been to. We had a warm up session where one thousand women did a few jumping jacks and arm swings, and then we had a minutes silence to remember someone who we were running for. I was running with a bunch of women from work so didn't know anyone but it was so tough. The atmosphere was so tense that i ended up crying anyway. But it was a great day and a fabulous sense of achievement afterwards as had it not been for me! instigating it, fifteen women from my office wouldn't have taken part.

Go on, do it! x

Lucy Diamond said...

Debs - yes! Not my idea of a good time I have to say, but they do seem to love a bit of demolition...

L-Plate Author - oh wow, that does sound very moving; I got shivers just reading your words. Great achievement, as you say, and especially as you roped in so many other runners. I feel very inspired now!

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I'm going back to the gym tomorrow after two months off with a pulled muscle in my shoulder (ouch) - I'm looking forward to that high. Not to mention a bit less flab!

Lucy Diamond said...

Good luck Zinnia - enjoy your endorphins!

quan said...

executive sales trainingcopywritingWhat Inglourious Basterds proves is that Tarantino is still obsessed with human beings rather than a more accessible instigator of movement—his films are made up of a few, long, extraordinarily detailed scenes, as though they are visual, character-based novels. Those who harshly critique Tarantino's modus operandi appear foolhardy. Do they wish him to no longer invest such passion and care into his characters? Would they be happier if, for instance, Basterds were more