Wednesday, 12 March 2008

Racing...

Oooh...it's official. I've just put my money where my mouth is and got my name down for the Race For Life this summer. Aaarrrggghhhh! One of my sisters is going to run (or jog...or limp...or crawl) with me and we've just registered. I've got a number and everything, I am a bit excited. And scared.

"Let's see, how long have we got, three months?" Nice Gym Manager said thoughtfully when I said to him last week that I was going to take part. "Hmmm, you should really be training every day, then..."

Every day! As if! We are not exactly talking a sprint here, I haven't transformed into super-fit-person overnight. And the very word 'training' sounds a bit frightening and serious from where I'm standing (or sitting, rather, with a cup of tea and biscuit). I will be happy if I get round with collapsing on the ground after the first mile. But I will give it my best shot anyway.

Oh yes, and if any kind generous lovely blog-readers would like to sponsor me (you knew that was coming, didn't you? Sorry!), there is a nifty little widget at the side there that you can click on, or just go here... Thank you sooo much. I need all the motivation I can get!

14 comments:

mjmoore said...

Well done.. and good luck! Consider yourself sponsored. :)

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh thank you! My first sponsor - cheers. Much appreciated. xx

Cal said...

Ooh good luck! I meant to do that last year but all the places had gone by the time I got round to signing up. Will definitely sponsor you on pay day (bit skint right now!)

Kate.Kingsley said...

Welld one on entering, Lucy.

My first ever run, about three years ago, was a race for life, and i've done it each year since. It's a great experience (even if, like me, you are occassionally running with a teary snotty face, as all the "in memory of...." messages make me very emotional.

Good luck with the training :-)

Lucy Diamond said...

Thanks Cally (dare I ask if you are going to enter this year?!)

Cheers Kate, it does sound incredibly emotional - I must stuff some tissues in my pocket as I'm sure I will be blubbing my way round. x

B said...

Congrats on registering :) I really enjoyed R4L and now enjoy 10k races even more - and I am the LEAST likely runner ever.

When is the race? There is (at least there used to be) a training planner on the site - the one that starts off walk/run is really good. that's the way to go. And NOT every day, that's insane! You'll just put yourself off if you do that.

Also, thanks for the reminder that I really need to start training for my 10k in June :)

Pacha said...

Good luck, as if you haven't got enough stuff going on in your life right now!! You going to give a piano concert next?

You put me to shame shame shame... will sponsor you soon too honey. Wait for me!

Caroline said...

I am so impressed. I hope that there will be photos :)

x

Lucy Diamond said...

Hello B and welcome! A race planner sounds a very sensible idea. I have been doing a walk/run/walk/run thing at the gym but last night got a bit competitive with the person on the treadmill next to me and ended up running for 2km with no walking breaks which I was chuffed about! The race is 1st June. Good luck with your next 10k run!

Pacha - no! Less of that shame, shame, shame please. And I think people would pay me NOT to play a piano concert, so that is definitely not on the cards.
You wait, once the wedding and race stuff is over, I will be taking to my bed for six months. Already looking forward to it!

Caroline, thank you for sponsoring me! And no WAY will there be any photos. Well, maybe a 'Before' one where I am all fresh-faced and smiling. I dread to think what I would look like afterwards. I will probably have dissolved in a pool of sweat.... How attractive!

B said...

Last night 2k with no breaks, 1st June THE WHOLE 5K hahahaha...!

Honestly, take it slow and don't push yourself too hard and you will well be able to run the whole 5k by then. Maybe not fast, but constant. Remember that whole hare and tortoise thing :)

Lucy Diamond said...

"not fast but constant" - that sounds good to me. Cheers b!

Debs said...

I'm doing this too. There's always a great feeling of camaraderie although seeing everyone's messages make me a tad emotional.

Leigh said...

Good for you! Well done! I saw the race at Folkestone last year and was really impressed. I'd love to do it, but sadly not this year - I have more than used up my childcare brownie-points. I will be cheering you on from my armchair!

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh great, Debs! We can be virtual training partners! :)

Hi Leigh - thanks for the cheering-on! Hope your stock of childcare brownie points is replenished soon...