Saturday, 29 March 2008

Keep on running...

I'm starting to think that running is rather like getting married, say, or having a baby - everyone but EVERYONE - wants to put their oar in and give you advice. Which is a bit tedious really and annoys the (lycra) pants off me. Still, the one thing that everyone - but EVERYONE - has said is: Get yourself some good running shoes.
So... I took myself along to Running Bath (geddit) in town the other week. Blimey, I only wanted some flipping shoes but the salesman had me running up and down over a special pad on the shop floor so that he could have a good old laugh at me - I mean, use the footscan gait analysis system (I just got that from their website, don't ask me to explain please) to find me the perfect pair. Then, I tried some on and he made me run up and down The Corridor , a rather gorgeous Victorian shopping arcade by the shop, weaving in and out of the passers-by which was rather embarrassing. I tried on about four pairs and let me tell you, they were all so bloody ugly. The pair that fitted best were in this absolute vile bright orange and silver style with this horrible mesh over them - my feet were cringing inside, I can tell you.

"Oh God, why do they all have to look so hideous?" I moaned.
The salesman did this sort of tutting noise as if I was the most shallow person he'd ever met. Thankfully the next pair were slightly less gross - green and silver with the same horrible mesh and they fitted a bit better. Well, I think they did, but I really didn't want those orange ones, anyway so I said they fitted better. Maybe I am the most shallow person ever to buy running shoes. *sigh* Talk about a crime against fashion, though.

Anyway, I am still running away on that treadmill, trying to build up for the Race for Life. I had a wobble today (of the mind, as well as the thighs) when I limped off exhausted after a mere 2.6km, thinking, I've got to run twice as far as that in June, I'll never do it, this was a terrible mistake... But there are two months to go and I did only start running at all a few weeks ago so I'm trying to think positive. And now that lots of lovely people have sponsored me... well, I can't let them down. (Sponsor-Widget is still over there on the right, if I might just mention that again...)

Changing the subject - saw a really good film on DVD last night, Into the Wild. Anyone seen that one? I can't stop thinking about it today. Really moving and different and beautiful. Sure, it's flawed - a bit self-indulgent in places and some episodes rather drawn-out but oh... it's one of those films that stays with you. If you don't already know about it, my advice is, don't read too much about it, watch it without knowing the story. I'm really glad I didn't know the ending, it made it all the more powerful.

Hope you are all having a good weekend...

11 comments:

Sally Lawton said...

Who would have thought choosing a pair of running shoes would be so crazy, that's so funny - I've never heard anything like it and suddenly feel like I'm missing out on something :-)
I did, however drive past a girl jogging this morning and think 'Ooo, I just couldn't be bothered with all that!'
So maybe this running malarkey isn't for me!!
Congrats to you though, you seem to be doing so well. Keep up the good work :-)

Lisa said...

Believe me, if wearing a pair of ugly running shoes will keep me from getting injured, I'll wear them. :)

Good Luck in your June race. You'll be so proud of yourself when you finish.

SpiralSkies said...

Wearing ugly shoes while you run means that you burn twice as many calories. Honest!

KAREN said...

I felt tired just reading about your training! You're very brave. Walking Molly around the fields in my wellies is as close as I get to running. :o)

Knowing about the ending of Into The Wild has put me off watching it, actually. I was going to say why, but people might want to see it so I won't!!

Lucy Diamond said...

Sally - I know! It was a bit of a shock, all that palaver, I wasn't expecting it. The guy in the shop said, I just want to see how you run, it'll take about twenty minutes and I almost squeaked, I can't even run for twenty minutes!, before I realised he meant the whole buying procedure...
The endorphins are great though - they keep me going!

Lisa - yes, you are right, I must stop being so vain about my ugly shoes. They are comfortable, I'll give them that!

Oh Jen, really? You're not just saying that to make me feel better? :)

Hi Karen - I don't know about brave, I'm wondering if I am a) misguided and b) stupidly optimistic but hey ho...
PS I think if I'd known the ending of Into the Wild it would have put me off too...say no more...

Lane said...

First of all I have to say the name of that shop is inspired:-)

Secondly - the fact he sent actually sent you running would have had me scarpering for the nearest exit. You're a brave woman and now you have the right pair you'll be over the finish line before you know it:-)

Amy Appleton said...

Yes, I am very impressed indeed. Both at the running in public thing (are running shop men anything like camping shop men, with all their jargon and their superiority?) and at the Race for Life. I can just about jog to the postbox.

Mum'sTheWord said...

I went through the same fears about Race For Life when I did it 3 years ago (it also marked a baptism of fire for exercise and me, who had not been well-acquainted since it was compulsory at school...). I think I had about a dozen training sessions, and I made it 2km on genuine capability and the other 3km on pure adrenalin and guilt. Very nearly threw up all over the finish line.

Good luck!

Lucy Diamond said...

Lane - I know, it was SO embarrassing. I did consider making a break for it once I started running, and not going back but I reckon he could probably have gone a lot faster than me and marched me back for more humiliation!

Amy, yes - definitely a different language going on in the running shop. And oh, the superiority was very shaming too. I know my place as a mere mortal, not a running goddess!

Yay, Mum'stheword, good for you. This is all very new for me too... I must confess, I am really looking forward to it all being over and life returning to a more leisurely pace with plenty of biscuits stops along the way!

Jane Henry said...

Sorry I am a bit behindhand on this. I am doing RforL again (third time running) with I hope all the sprogs. The little ones are walking with my friend and I am running with the big ones.

The thing about running is it really does get easier, and honestly if you can run 2.6k you can run 5. Really, I was a running virgin four years ago and I did run a marathon, and actually haven't looked back since, cos it sort of gets under your skin.

And I was utterly shite at PE at school....

Let's cheer each other on. I've just been for a run with some mums from school who are all doing it too. Can you find anyone to train with it, it really helps.

Loved your post about running shoes btw. Last pair I bought was just before a wedding. So there I was in my glad rags with all the children swapping my high heels for a pair of very fetching Asics. But I can promise you, ugly they may be, but decent running shoes really do the trick.

Running4Women is a good website for getting running gear (a good sports bra is a MUST)

Also there are some runner's forums out there which all usually have a beginner's section, which can be very encouraging.

The great thing about running is, however slow/crap you are there is always someone slower/crapper then you! Says she, from the back of the pack...

Lucy Diamond said...

Cheers Jane - I will check out that website. How fab that all your girls are running with you this year - I remember welling up at the post you wrote about it last time when you ran with your older two.
I hurt my knee a few weeks ago so had to slow down a bit, I felt so gutted - my first sports injury! But I am able to run for 20 minutes now, over 3km, so feel like I am back on track again... (I am sooooo impressed that you ran a marathon. Deeply deeply impressed!)