Wednesday, 27 February 2008

Oo-arrrr

My son has developed a West Country accent! It is soooo sweet. He kind of burrs his 'r' sounds at the end of words - like herrrrr or tractorrrr. I just love it, he can pass as a true local now (unlike me and my flat Midlands vowels). The girls still sound the same although my eldest says 'daps' instead of 'plimsolls'. Bless.

I have finished When We Were Bad - brilliant - and am now rereading Great Expectations. Feel as if I need to brush up on this before starting Mr Pip, so as to get all the references. Swotty eh. I haven't read Great Expectations for twenty years and back then, I was far more interested in crimpers, hippy skirts and aubergine-coloured hair dye to appreciate Literature-with-a-capital-L. On second read, I am loving it. So good!

Now - work to do. I have already sent off the first draft of something and it's not even 10.30! How impressive am I today? I am rationing myself on t'internet, that's why I've had a productive start. Back to the novel today - only a few days left of Feb and I'm supposed to be hitting the 60,000-word mark. Better crack on...

11 comments:

Lane said...

Just finished Mr Pip last night.
Of golly. Some very good bits and some very dark...

Well done on your uber-productiveness:-)

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh good, I like the sound of that!
Hope you are having a headache-free productive day today Lane x

Leigh said...

Daps? You know, that's what we used to call them when I was little. I'd forgotten that! I guess it came from some west country rellies on my Dad's side. I'll have to ask him. Funny how these memories come back, when you didn't even know you had them!

Lucy Diamond said...

We called them 'pumps' at my primary school...

Pacha said...

I want to read 'Great Expectations' again. I remember it being brilliant!

Glad to hear that you're being productive!

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh yes, read it, Pacha, we can have a little Great Expectations online book club! Anyone else want to join?!
Hope your day's going well...got any of that chocolate left?

Debs said...

By 10.30? That's very productive.

They reviewed Mr Pip on Richard & Judy today, I thought it sounded very good until it came to the mixed reviews.

Swearing Mother said...

Thanks so much for visiting my blog Lucy, it was so great to meet you. Will be back to have a proper read ASAP!

Lucy Diamond said...

Debs - I know! The rest of the day went slightly downhill after that, though...

SwearingMother - the pleasure was all mine!

Kate.Kingsley said...

"I haven't read Great Expectations for twenty years and back then, I was far more interested in crimpers, hippy skirts and aubergine-coloured hair dye to appreciate Literature-with-a-capital-L."

LOL! Are you me?! Or are all Eng lit students much of a oneness? :-)

I still haven't given up the hair dye though.....And these days I pass the hippy skirts off as "gypsy" skirts (it's just a matter of semantics...)

Oh, and if there's really a re-reading GE group you can count me in too!

Lucy Diamond said...

Kate - you are in! Crimpers are optional ;)
I haven't dyed my hair for ages but do quite fancy a change now. Hmmmm...