Wednesday, 20 February 2008

Eloise, Mabel and good intentions

Ahhh I’m enjoying this half-term so far. Been to Stourhead with friends (stunning), spent lots of time in our sunny garden digging up old weeds and putting in new plants, read two books (Slummy Mummy – hilarious; The Accidental Mother – fabulous), and yesterday went to the BBC in Bristol as one of the judges of their RaW writing competition which was very enjoyable and interesting. One of my co-judges was a lovely librarian and I found myself rashly agreeing to some author events in Bristol. Eek. Me and my big mouth.

What else? Ahh yes. My three-year-old appears to be having an identity crisis. “Call me Eloise,” she insists grandly. “Not Holly any more. I am Eloise.” All very melodramatic in the way that only a three-year-old can get away with. I remember my son going through this when he was two, ‘helped’ by his big sister who’d dress him up in her clothes and put hair-clips in his short tufts of hair. “Call me Mabel,” he’d say, clopping down the stairs in her pink shoes. It was the campest thing you’ve ever seen, bless him.

I’ve had a slight setback on the writing front. Remember that new children’s series proposal I was all excited about? Well, it was the acquisitions meeting last week (where publishers/sales and marketing directors decide whether to give the yay or nay to possible new projects) and mine didn’t exactly get an outright ‘nay’ but didn’t get an immediate ‘yay’ either. Apparently it needs tweaking which is a bit of a blow, although I’m not sure quite how much tweaking is to be done, I haven’t spoken to my editor yet. Obviously being as melodramatic as Holly – I mean, Eloise – I was plunged into ‘I’m a failure’ feelings about this when I heard last night, but have pulled myself together this morning. H-t-b has taken the kids to his mum’s for the day and I’m going to write something new and brilliant today that will wow every acquisition meeting in the land. Well. That’s my little daydream anyway. I can but try….

11 comments:

Lane said...

lol:-) They probably think - well mummy can have a different name, why not us:-) And they've chosen such pretty names, though Mabel for a boy? - hhmmm:-)

I hope there's not much tweaking to be done. Tweaking is so unspecific isn't it.

Have a good writing day:-)
x

Lucy Diamond said...

Yes, not sure about Mabel as a boy's name. I think his big sister might have 'helped' him with that too! :)
Have heard from my editor now - the tweaking required on the new proposal sounds more like total rewriting to me...arrrgghh. But I'll give it a go as I am an obedient little author person. Sigh...

mjmoore said...

Good luck with the new series!

Oh.. you've been tagged, details on my blog. :)

L-Plate Author said...

Tweaking, erm, rewriting, always makes it better, don't you think?

Good luck obedient little author person, I'm right behind you. xx

Lucy Diamond said...

Thanks Michelle!

Hi L-plate Author, I'm not feeling quite so obedient any more...in fact I feel a bit mardy and bad-tempered at the prospect of rewriting. Oh dear. Maybe I'll just leave that one for a while...

Pacha said...

Emma INSISTS on being called Anna. At summercamp when I went to claim the artwork she did - all her paintings had ANNA written in the corner. (And all her 'new' friends were convinced she was Anna)...

Frankly speaking... Anna Emma - where's the difference?

Holly Eloise...DIFFERENCE!

Good luck with the writing honey! (no-one puts Lucy in a corner...)

Kate.Kingsley said...

"Eloise" ~ what a sweepingly dramatic and elegant name! Husband apparently went through a stage (circa age 6)when he wanted to be known as "Yoyo".....

Good luck with the "tweaking".

Lucy Diamond said...

Pacha, too right! I'm stomping out of that corner like a true diva, believe me! How funny that Emma reinvented herself as Anna - kids are so funny.

Cheers Kate - aww, 'Yoyo' is very cute. And yes, 'Eloise' is a very dramatic kind of name - that's my girl!

Leigh said...

The small boy has been Sam (of fireman fame), Tom (ditto - helicopter pilot), Tarzan, and, of course, Superman. Oh, and he was James for quite a while (from Thomas &co). But not Mabel. At least...not yet!

Good luck with the acquisitions lot. Remember, you're definitely not a failure. (My local Waterstones has sold our of Any Way You Want Me, and have had to order more in...)

Debs said...

My sister and I used to put my brother's hair up and call him Julie, which is probably why he keeps his hair so short now.

Best of luck with the tweaking.

Lucy Diamond said...

Hi Leigh,
Wow, your son's gone through more identities than me so far...the boy done good! (do especially love wanting to be called Tarzan - bless!)

Cheers Debs,
Love it that you traumatised your brother into his very short hair...ahh, you can't beat a bit of sisterly teasing!