Tuesday, 12 February 2008

..And Difficult Behaviour

Forget the terrible twos. It's all about the terrible threes in this house - and it's a scary place to be, I can tell you. Youngest daughter has turned from Little Miss Sweetheart into Raging Bull, hellbent on arguing about absolutely everything. Which is rather wearying, frankly.
Yesterday, we had battles about the following:
which colour straw she would have in her milk
getting dressed
putting on shoes
getting in the buggy
whether or not it was a good idea to take her otter Sylvanian family out in the buggy (no, as it turned out, Mr Otter is now roaming free somewhere between our house and the school)
whether or not she needed a nap (yawning and resting her head on the table before screaming that she didn't)
whether or not she needed a wee (clutching herself and jiggling, yet still insisting she didn't)
not watching CBeebies
how many bits of broccoli she would eat for tea
whether or not it was nice to shout at the top of her voice when her brother was trying to concentrate on something
sitting on the naughty step for three minutes
staying in her bedroom for three minutes
going to bed early....

My God, I was surprised my hair hadn't turned white overnight. She is so bloody stubborn!
Thank goodness playgroup have got the pleasure of her company this morning, is all I can say. I'm already braced for the argument we're going to have about lunch... Anyone got Supernanny's phone number?

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh my.. how familiar this sounds! Amy is just coming up to 4, and she has been very very trying! She argues alot, but evenings are the absolute worse.. and when she thinks she;s losing the argument, on comes the tantrum!

I'll tell you what I'm telling myself.. surely it can't go on forever!? lol

Dad Mzungu said...

Yes, familiar it is. But now my two kids have flown the nest and set up with their own broods asking them all the awkward questions.
But I miss it. OK, I am a mere man, but I was also the single parent for a while to a pubescent girl - not the ideal situation.
But it is about to start all over again. My girlfriend has two children, a boy aged 6 and a little angel aged 3.
Yes, she fires questions at me without pausing for breath, but I never answer directly. Why? She doesn't speak English and I don't speak Swahili!
The boy speaks a sort of joined-up scribble in English, so we get along fine. All I have to do is kick a ball with him and he's happy!

Lane said...

That's quite a list but just think of the strong character she's forming.
You wouldn't want her to be too placid .... would you:-)

Sarah*G* said...

So very familiar! My darling daughter is 3 in April and she is already acting up and arguing about absolutley everything! She is definetly strong willed and knows her own mind. I am sure that is a good thing??
If you get Supernannys number can you pass it my way?! lol!

Leigh said...

Ah, three-year-old girls. We have the same here. It's just a warm up for the teenage years...

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I have to confess that I enjoy these kinds of stories very much - and they always reconnect me with my pleasure in not being a parent!!!

Lucy Diamond said...

Michelle - I am comforting myself that my other two went through this exact same stage and came out the other side...but I'm not looking forward to the teenage years with this particular daughter!

Hello Dad Mzungu, sounds like speaking different languages comes in quite handy with your girlfriend's daughter! Enjoy it while it lasts! :)

Lane, I keep telling myself that. At least she's not a doormat... The thing is, sometimes I wish she could be a bit more of a pushover!

Hi Sarah, I will definitely pass on that number if I get it! Maybe we could do a block blog booking?!

Leigh, I'm scared already! It'll be gin at noon by then, I should think!

Zinnia, just for that, I'll send her round to yours next time she's being a madam... Damn. If only I knew where you lived!

Pacha said...

Ha! Dyango did a MAJOR tantrum thing in the shopping mall this weekend. It was fantastic. He didn't want me to lift him up, he didn't want to walk, he didn't want to stay still, he didn't want to sit, he didn't want to stand, kneel whatever, he didn't want me to stay beside him, he didn't want me to go away. Javier, Emma and I just stood there while he SCREAMED and people walked by looking on in amazement. I would have laughed but I was panicking and trying to pretend I wasn't (and fooling no-one; and that is difficult to do actually)!

I have given birth to Satan.

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh no!! Every parent will recognise the horror. I'm not very good at the 'pretending to be in control and very calm' thing, especially when you can feel people staring at you, and hear the tuts.
Hope Satan behaves himself today :)