Wednesday, 16 January 2008

Word power

I've been feeling a tiny bit blah the last few days. I don't know if it was January starting to eat away at me, or all the knackering single-mothering I've been doing while h-t-b has been in London or just the incessant bloody rain but anyway, I went to bed last night feeling quite bad-tempered, and woke up this morning in the same sort of mood.
I won't write anything on the blog today, I decided. I'll only end up moaning. And who wants to read a load of moaning?

Then I started my day's work. (Oh I do love my work.) I'm back on the novel today after a month-long hiatus of other deadlines and writing jobs. I haven't looked at it in all that time, so have gone right back to the beginning for a catch-up read-through. It's so brilliant being able to look at it with fresh eyes. And do you know what? I am really enjoying it. The bad mood has gone. How about that, for the power of words on a page?

10 comments:

CTaylor said...

That's brilliant. Looking at my WiP normally makes me feel more depressed ;o)

Lane said...

Great stuff!

Having the grumps lifted by the power of your words. Now that's what I call a writer:-)

Lucy Diamond said...

Hello you two,

I must confess, it's more the relief that the words are all still there and I didn't imagine writing it all that has cheered me up!
I'm sure the mood will wear off once I have to start adding to the word count!
xx

Pacha said...

Well reading this post has managed to lift my spirits. (btw I love to read a load of moaning - the power of complaining is pretty exhilarating too --- to me! But I am an old misery guts who ALWAYS feels a bit blah, so I would say that.)

HOWEVER, I absolutely loved reading about your enthusiasm and high from reading through your novel/getting back into the writing. I'm glad you've recorded it here too...so you won't forget when things get to Januaryry and rainy again.

Lucy Diamond said...

Pacha, you are so NOT a misery guts! I know what you mean about complaining though, it is sooo enjoyable to have a good moan sometimes!
Despite my enthusiastic words about the new novel earlier, I haven't actually added much to the word count. Maybe that'll come next week...

SpiralSkies said...

Yay! Words count!

Oh dear, sorry about that. Appear to have come over all peculiar.

You know what I mean though. Don't you?

X

Leigh said...

Oh, how well I know that waking up in a bad mood mood [sic]. Well done for dragging yourself out of it, and what better justification for writing can one possibly have? !

Lucy Diamond said...

Yeah, SpiralSkies, words ROCK! Of course I know what you mean - nothing wrong with that!

Leigh, I am feeling much more chipper all round - the kids are all in bed, I'm about to crack open some wine and go and watch telly. It turned out a good day after all!

L-Plate Author said...

I'm finding reading other novel racers blogs and adding posts to my own means I am getting to my laptop sooner. I may not be adding to my word count for an hour or so but when I do start writing I feel in the flow already. Hmm...wonder how long that will last!

Lucy Diamond said...

Hi L-plate Author, that's fantastic! It usually works the other way round for me, sadly!