Tuesday, 11 December 2007

Roots

When we moved to Bath a few months ago, I felt very much that it was my h-t-b's neck of the woods. His family all live in Somerset and he grew up not very far from here, whereas I grew up in Nottingham and I have no connection with the West Country. Not My Patch - or so I thought.

My parents are here at the moment and my dad's brought with him a folder containing an old letter and some family trees. It turns out that my family have LOADS of connections with Bath! The letter is from my great-grandma's cousin Lily, who lived here and gives lots of the family history. All sorts of people on my great-grandma's side of the family lived here and were married here back in the 18th and 19th century. And my great-great-great-great-great grandpa (I think it's five greats perhaps four) was a builder and actually built two houses here in Bath in 1790-ish. He lived in one of them with his four kids for years!

My mum and dad are currently watching my eldest two kids perform in the school Christmas show (I had to go yesterday with youngest daughter for the dress rehearsal). And when my parents come back, we are going to walk down the road and see the houses built by a Mr William Osmond, our relative, over 200 years ago. I'm getting shivers down my spine whenever I think about all that history, all those family stories, all the connections. Suddenly I feel like I DO belong here after all.

7 comments:

JJ said...

Oh, wow, that's so exciting. God I do love social history. Please tell us what the visit to the houses is like.
JJx

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

That's amazing - one of those things that wouldn't work in a novel because everyone would say you were overdoing it. But in real life, it must be a great (great-great-great) feeling.

Lane said...

What a fantastic discovery.

So you were meant to go to Bath. And Yes, you must tell us about the houses!

Pacha said...

That's so amazing. I almost thought you were going to say that it turns out that your present house was built by your great great..etc grandpa. But that would be pushing it, wouldn't it? (but its a good story!)

Hope you continue to have a special magical time with your family!

Lucy Diamond said...

It WAS exciting! It was so exciting it got too long for a comment, so it's become the next blog post...

Sarah Ball said...

That is exciting - I used to live in Monkton Farleigh, just outside Bath, and I loved it but I know what you mean about needing to feel as though you belong there. I never felt that way, although there is a table in the garden of the Bathampton Mill that became 'ours' for a time
Sarah :)

Lucy Diamond said...

Claiming a table as your own is a good start! (I haven't been to Bathampton Mill yet - will send it your best regards when I do!)
Thanks for visiting.