Sunday, 2 December 2007

More slashing and burning (and I don't mean cystitis)

Phew. I am getting there on Over You. I have gone through it twice with the red pen and hacked out loads of stuff that I felt was slowing it down, and I think the story is much better for it. It's been quite helpful, coming back to the manuscript fresh having written it so long ago, it's meant I could be quite dispassionate and objective about the whole thing, chopping out pages and paragraphs quite ruthlessly. Will go through it once more tonight/tomorrow night and then hopefully I can put the red pen away for a while and send the ms back to Mission Control.

Meanwhile, had a boost from lovely friend who read the first chunk of Novel 3 and gave some great feedback (if you are reading this, thank you so much, I have emailed you back (twice) to say your comments were fab and much appreciated - but I don't know if hotmail is still resisting my advances!) So that made me feel a lot better about the world. See - am being much more positive, am not even THINKING about tomorrow...

7 comments:

Leigh said...

I know what you mean about coming back to a ms after a long break. Opened mine on Friday, for the first time in nearly ten months. Boy, did I get a shock. Thank God I decided to re-edit before resubbing...!

You look as though you're trampling on the remains of that wobble, just to squish the last bit of resitance out of it.

Debs said...

I know that feeling too. I'm just not sure if my re-edits are thorough enough to resubmit? Maybe I shall check it once more...

Pacha said...

Sounds like you're doing fantastically Lucy. Purging yourself of that 'cystitis' with lots of fresh water!

Lucy Diamond said...

Leigh - shocking is the right word! Hope your re-editing is going well.

Debs - absolutely, I could go on editing for ever, I think. Have put the ms in an envelope now ready to send off tomorrow... deep breath!

Pasha - thank you. A good purge is just what I needed!

Alyssa Goodnight said...

I'm doing my own slash and burn and hoping it turns out fabulously! ;)

Lane said...

Sounds like a very successful purge (nasty word that isn't it)

Glad the wobbles have been stomped on:-)

Lucy Diamond said...

Good luck, Alyssa!

Lane - purge is indeed a horrid word. Makes me think of enemas. Ewww.