Thursday, 29 November 2007

Red pen maniac

I've been going through the copy-edit of Over You this week (inbetween my jaunts to the capital). It's so long since I actually wrote the first draft of this (last September I think) that it's almost like reading someone else's book....and seeing all the things that are wrong with it. Eeeek! I have been slashing my red pen around like a vicious teacher. The beginning feels so slow! Slash, slash, edit, edit. All the bits about my heroines' family are just too mumsy! Slash, slash, edit, edit. It's going to be a two-page pamphlet at this rate - and it's all I can do not to write SEE ME! at the bottom (always fancied myself as a teacher).

I probably shouldn't say this but am worried now that it's rubbish, and so have put it to one side to read through again over the weekend. Heeeellllppp!

8 comments:

Vicky said...

there's always a thing to be said for 'first instinct is always right' - your last book was a success, i'm sure this one will be even better!

Pacha said...

'See me' indeed! I think you've done the right thing; put it aside for a while and then get back to it when vicious teacher isn't looking!

It won't be rubbish but worrying about it being rubbish is normal and a sign that all is fine surely?

Good luck!

Lucy Diamond said...

Vicky - thanks...I'm not sure though. Must do some more red-penning first!

Pacha - I am a bit scared of my teacher alter-ego. She is that horrible inner critic who pops up saying, "You're not a proper writer! Nobody will ever want to read this!"
I will try to ignore her...

Lane said...

As an (ex) teacher I would tell you that your past results speak for themselves and to trust your writerly instincts.
I was a very nurturing teacher:-)

(amd I'm sure it's not rubbish:-)

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Sounds to me as if it will be a much better book for this treatment. It always helps to have a long enough gap between one draft and the next, so that you can see it clearly. I bet you'll find out, this weekend, that it's not as bad as you think. And if the word count goes down too far, you can always write some new bits, seeing as how you're a writer and all!

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh Lane, you sound a much nicer teacher than I would ever be - thank you.

Zinnia, you're right, I'm sure it will be better for a bit of hacking. And it IS good to have some distance between first draft and edit stage. But all the same...just a little bit alarming!

Jen said...

Funny how it seems like it's someone else's work after a long gap, isn't it?

I heard an agent say once that when people thought their work was great, it was always crap and vice versa. Scientific evidence, that is!

I will have more confidence
I will have more confidence
etc
etc

Lucy Diamond said...

Jen, I love that scientific evidence. "You think it's crap ergo it's a work of genius."
Fantastic!
Must have more confidence...
Must have more condidence...