Thursday, 22 November 2007

Cave sweet cave

Okay, so let's not talk about the football. Gaaaagghhh. Oooh, actually, just seen on the BBC News website that Maclaren is about to be sacked any minute. There's a bit of cold comfort anyway.

So. Other stuff. Oh yes, exciting developments in the home. When we first looked around this house, we went down to the basement and found what I can only describe as a cave. I think it must have been the old coal cellar, back in the 1850s when the house was built. It was very damp anyway, extremely smelly - and at the time it was filled with bin-bags of dirty studenty washing. This was a hot day too, when we looked round, so we literally backed straight out of the cave again, holding our noses.

We got the survey done and of course, it came back saying that the cave was very damp and needed the walls tanking and blah blah, for the price of a few grand. Husband-to-be of course scoffed at such claims. A few grand? Sod that, I'll do it myself, he said.

And he has. He scraped out all the damp brickwork and... oh, look, I'm not going to go into the full Handy Andy stuff here. But anyway. It doesn't smell any more. It's not damp. It's all been freshly painted (apple white - tres soothing). It's got double doors that open out onto the garden, so is lovely and light. And today a man from the carpet shop up the road is coming to put down a new carpet.

And then... I'm moving in. It's going to be my new office! I am soooo excited. A proper office, just for me. A room of my own, with just my stuff in it. Obviously, I have got a bit carried away and have bought some new pictures for the walls and a lovely old clock and oh, just nice pretty stuff that I need to inspire my writing (!!) I am going to treat myself to an armchair and everything. Well, I need to sit somewhere comfortable to read, don't I? Reading books counts as work when you're an author, doesn't it?!

I'll report back tomorrow, once I've moved in. I might even...gasp....try to post a photo. But don't hold your breath...

14 comments:

Helen said...

I want to see a picture of your freshly painted, cosy new office! How exciting for you...

We are at the start of doing some renovations here (I say renovations but our house is only 6 years old). I need a new kitchen and we are having our loft converted meaning my study can move upstairs to the smallest bedroom. I am so excited about it I'm off to B&Q in a minute to be inspired.

Lucy Diamond said...

Enjoy your B&Q trip! I rather like going there myself, buying paints and what-have-you. It's the bit where I'm meant to actually USE my purchases that I'm less keen on!

Vicky said...

oooh, that sounds so lovely - a cozy, lit office, just for you! be sure to have a secret stash of blankets and chocolate for those winter nights ;)

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh yes, blankets and chocolate, absolutely, Vicky. I'm glad you appreciate the important things about an office!

PS Carpet man is here RIGHT NOW!!!

Caroline said...

Sounds perfect. I want an armchair in my office too. And a chocolate fountain. And Simon C to bring my cups of tea whenever I wish for them.

*sigh*

Lucy Diamond said...

Great idea about the chocolate fountain, Caroline - but having just inspected my spotless new carpet I will sadly have to pass on that one. (Damn. Why did I not order a wipe-clean lino, instead of pale carpet? Knew there was something I'd forgotten.)

Simon Cowell making the tea - I kind of like that idea. Mind you, what if he came to peep over your shoulder at what you were working on? "That is the worst sentence I have ever read..." I couldn't bear the stress!

Pacha said...

Oh Lucy, that sounds wonderful! The h-t-b is a genius! A room of your own to write and read in! That is lovely lovely lovely! You'll get to be so productive and there are no rats so you're sorted! I loved the image of the cave! Made me laugh out loud...

Lucy Diamond said...

The h-t-b is indeed a superstar, Pacha - although I have just been down there now and spotted a tiny patch of damp coming through on the wall. Hmmmm... Perhaps we're not QUITE there yet!

However, the carpet is IN and I have just rolled around on it like a cat, enjoying its newness. How long do you give me before I slop a cup of tea all over it?

PS View out of the cave window so far unspoiled by rats... Must remember to shut the cave door so that rat-killing cat doesn't drag in any fresh kills on my new carpet!!

Lane said...

Sounds like you've found a good 'un with htb:-)

Your office cave sounds wonderful. Pics soon pretty please:-)

Lucy Diamond said...

He IS a good 'un Lane - been up on the roof this morning, fixing cracked slates etc- bit nerve-racking actually, I was glad when he came back down again...

Sorry, after all my excitement, the cave is still not quite there - but will post pic as soon as it's up to viewing standard!

Debs said...

Sounds like a perfect office to me. My dh and I have been doing up our house for the past four years and earlier this year had the entire house recarpeted - so beautiful - until a lively bit of coal or something jumped over the extra bit of carpet in front of the fire (to protect it, etc) and burnt a hole about three feet into the room. And here was me nagging the children constantly about shoes...

Leigh said...

Oh, I hadn't thought of an armchair. It might have to be a fold-up one, to get it through the loft hatch (which is not quite the same, I grant you), but what a lovely idea!

I can see you rolling around like a cat on your new carpet! Lovely!

Photos are obligatory!

JJ said...

Oh wow, how absolutely wonderful. And how extremely clever of you to find a 'Handy Andy' kind of man. Mine is hopeless with DIY.

Can't wait to see the photos.

JJx

Lucy Diamond said...

Hi all of you,

I am now ensconced in the cave, pc all set up (and still actually functioning!), and ooh, it's nice...

Debs - what a nightmare!! That must have been such a D'OH!!! moment!

Leigh, I think you'll have to have a hatch cut in your roof and an armchair winched through the gap by a crane...no?! Fold-up will be fine, I'm sure, as long as you have nice squishy cushion and cuddly blanket...mmmm...

JJ, oh dear I am regretting promising photos. I have never tried doing that image thing before in Blogger, it will probably take me hours!