Sunday, 21 October 2007

Ear We Go

Well, I TRIED to care about the rugby yesterday, honest – but sadly, I was more gutted about Kimberley being knocked out of X Factor than I was about England losing. Sorry. Not my cup of Tetleys. But I can’t BELIEVE Kimberley was out, when those cheesers stayed in. Can’t remember what they’re called but you know who I mean. The white-grinned vaguely sinister brother/sister combo. Pass the bucket!!

Enough bitching. It’s half term here – hoorah!! – which we are all chuffed about. This has been the first weekend since we moved that we haven’t had people visiting/staying, so it has been tres relaxing just slobbing around not doing very much. Fantastic. We were meant to be going to Brighton yesterday for a few days but eldest daughter has had some ear trouble which means we have to go to the hospital tomorrow. She’s so selfish that girl, mucking up our holiday plans… (JOKE, please don’t grass me up to social services.) She’s had to have drops put in three times a day for the last two weeks – Gordon Bennett, the melodramas this has caused, I can hardly begin to describe them. I have to chase her upstairs each time, wrestle her to the floor and contend with much screaming, anguish and general hamming up. Aaargh. Really hope the consultant gives her the all-clear tomorrow. Neither of us can face that bottle of ear-drops any more.

So, anyway. Read any good books lately? I have just finished Extreme Motherhood: The Triplet Diaries by Jackie Clune which was brilliant. Talk about a hardcore mum – she already had a one-year-old, then found out she was pregnant with triplets. Eeeek. She writes a very funny, frank, moving account of the pregnancy, births and the first few months of having four children under two. Like I say, hardcore. Respect to the Triplet Lady!

That's all for now – and perhaps the rest of the week. Ears permitting, we'll be back beside the seaside asap. In the meantime, have a good week, one and all!

10 comments:

liz fenwick said...

Have a great half term :-)

Pacha said...

I had the same problem with E's eye infection; she was having none of the eye drops. Talk about calling in the social services - to hear E scream and struggle and clam up you'd think I was murdering her (not that the thought passed my mind, oh no!)...

Just joking social services if you're out there!

Hope you have a relaxing half term (ear infection drops aside)...

TRIPLETS with a one year old! GAWD! I thought I had it bad when I discovered I was pregnant with E when J was 5 months old but...triplets? That is beyond even funny!

I'm reading 'Queen of Dreams' by Divakaruni. Not sure I have sussed it out yet. Mother-daughter novel (Amy Tan style but American-Indian) where her mother is a dream interpreter. I have to say the characters annoy me so far and the dreams are rather straight forward and unimaginative.

Besides dreams are boring when you tell them at the best of times, its dull having to then read invented crappy ones!

*sigh*

I am not getting my reading material right lately.

You're just going to have to publish another novel, I'm afriad!

Clare said...

I read the Weirdston of Brisingamen by Alan Garner on the way to and from Paris. An old children's classic, and a very good one at that.

Caroline said...

*waves* so glad to see you back!

And (not at all bookish) but I am SO with you on the Kimberley thing! Ridiculous!

I am meeting Simon in 12 days! OMG OMG OMG!

Hope your daughter gets better soon.
X

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Hello! Only just realised you're back (d'oh - but have been immersed in finishing nearly finished novel). Lovely to have you back in blogland. Looking forward to instalment with school appeal etc, as and when.

Angie said...

It's lovely to see you blogging again. I can't wait to hear about this wedding, and etc.

Hope your daughter is better soon and you enjoy the half term!

Anonymous said...

Just finished reading your book. I have a 6 year old, a one year old and a new 5 week old baby. I was totally engrossed in the book and read it in 2 days much to the dismay of my husband who was left to do EVERYTHING when he came in frm work. the book was bloody excellant and so real i almost believed it had happened to someone i know. keep it up... any plans for another book i am now a fan well done

sorry if errors in typing feeding the baby, looking at the keyboard whilst singing wheels on the bus to my 1 year old

oh the joys of motherhood

Lucy Diamond said...

Ooooh, I'd forgotten this bit about blogging - getting lots of lovely messages. Hoorah!! Hello all of you, thanks for dropping by - especially you, Anonymous, ohhhh your message made my day. THANK YOU - and I salute you for your multi-tasking there, let alone having the energy to post.
And since you asked, the next book is out next August, it's called Over You and has a really gorgeous cover. There, a bit of Breaking News, in a News-24 styley for you all! Not sure if the gorgeous cover is all signed off yet but I will post it on the blog when I can.

Hi Liz, hope you're having a good half-term too!

Hello Pacha! Ooh, drops, eh? I'm sure those doctors prescribe them to give us mums more grey hairs and wrinkles.

Hi Clare - get you and your trips to Paris, you culture vulture. I loved the Weirdstone of Brisingamen too. have you read Elidor? That's a corker as well.

Caroline, are you really going to meet Simon? OMG!! I've come out in a hot flush just thinking about it. I can't wait to read the blog report!

Hello Zinnia, wow, really excited to hear you are at the finishing novel stage - brilliant!

Hello Angie - she is all better, thanks (and I have recovered too). Phew!

It will be all write said...

Hope you survived the half term madness !

I am just going around introducing myself really to a select few that are writing - to seek a kind of support network.

You can look @ my blog, it's new though so only 2 posts. Would be nice to hear from you.

Lucy Diamond said...

Hello IWBAW, nice to see you, I will definitely check out your blog
x