Monday, 11 June 2007

Sunny side up

Ouch. My shoulders are still throbbing from yesterday's sun. They are red and shiny and still so hot you could probably fry eggs on them. Of course, on the beach yesterday, I plastered all three kids with factor 50, spent ages doing it as soon as we got on the sand but completely forgot to put any on myself, and am now suffering. I can't help feeling that's a metaphor for my life - or motherhood, at least...

Still, can't complain, apparently at the breakfast table yesterday morning, youngest daughter sat there thoughtfully before declaring to my other half, "My favourite is Mummy". I've been smiling every time I thought about that today, despite shoulders. A bit of appreciation is a wonderful thing, especially when it's from your own offspring!

I started clearing out the boxes in the loft today. Obviously there are some there that have remained unpacked and untouched since we last moved (5 years ago) and all sorts of other distracting delights like old letters and diaries. I was really pleased to find the diaries I kept while I was travelling, eighteen months between 1996 and 1997 while I backpacked around the world on my own. The first entry in the 1996 diary begins like this:

Shocking hangover and vague memories of behaving dreadfully - stock New Year's Day feelings really. Feel a bit guilty about all my snogging and cheekiness - ahh well. I've decided to try and be a bit nicer this year and less of an old bitch - maybe that's too optimistic...

Oh, those were the days, snogging and cheekiness... I'm going to read the whole thing and reminisce indulgently, anything to put off the bloody box-sorting!

8 comments:

Jen said...

Wow, old diaries are a zillion times more exciting than old photos somehow... brilliant that you've still got them!

Isn't it lovely to be 'favourite'?

No 2 son said to me earlier 'You rock, Mitz' which is good enough for me :)

Moving's hideous but there's something hypnotic about unpacking old memories...

Caroline said...

Moving is so awful and stressy and not at all lovely. Old diaries full of forgotten adventures .... sounds like the perfect reading material to be indulged with a cuppa and a packet of biscuits.
Have fun.
x

Lucy Diamond said...

Jen, "You rock, Mitz" is such a great line. I would be dead chuffed about that!

And yes, old diaries are fab, it's like revisiting the person you used to be, if that doesn't sound too mad. I've just read this great bit:

"Met W and it was a bit crap. He was so nervous around me and it got on my nerves... Went and lay in the park and he was pouring his heart out about how inexperienced he was (you don't SAY) and it put me off even MORE, all his self-pitying sob stories - NAH, no thanks, mate. When will I meet a great man who isn't NERVOUS of me? It does my head in."

God. I sound so tough, don't I? No wonder poor old W was scared of me. I am really not tough any more.

CTaylor said...

Oooh you're back. Lovely to see you. I missed reading your blog. Am very jealous of your seaside adventures but am back in Brighton this weekend so may have to hobble along the pebbles and stick my toes in the sea!

Lucy Diamond said...

Hi Cally, nice to see you again. I have finally got round to updating all the novel racers' links on my sidebar, yours included. Sorry it took so long.
Hope Brighton is sunshiney and pebble perfect for you this weekend!
And hello to all my new linkees - Saoirse, Isabella, Jay, Chris H, David, Rowan, Judy and Kate. Phew.

DOT said...

A late comment on feeling low about expectations of sales. I heartily concur with everyone else's observations.

As one struggling to write my first novel and presently completely bogged down, I am very envious a) you managed to write a WHOLE book and b) that you got it published.

You can chalk up one more sale as I shall be nipping to Borders to buy it today.

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh cheers!! That's very kind of you. And it's great to see another Brightonian in the novel race!

Clare said...

Oh God, whenever Felix says I'm his favourite I just feel really guilty and worry about him hurting his dad's feelings! Must learn to appreciate things more...

And suncream, oh yes. Forever plastering Felix with the stuff, always forgetting to do myself.

And packing! Getting distracted by old diaries! I'm a really slow house-move packer cos I'm a nostalgic hoarder so am forever coming across forgotten little things and disappearing into reminiscent reveries. I've lived in the same house for 18 years, but we've moved everything out - and back in again - twice, for two sets of major building work.