Monday, 18 June 2007

Some news is good news

Huge envelopes thumped down onto the doormat on Saturday. First to be opened was one containing the roughs for Oliver Moon's Fangtastic Sleepover, out in November. If you didn't know, this is where the text has been laid out on the page, and the artist puts in her 'roughs' - rough sketches of what she's going to illustrate. It's always exciting to get these, especially because the illustrator, Jan McCafferty is such a fab artist, and always has brilliant and very funny ideas about interpreting the text. This book's about a school sleepover in a haunted museum, and she's gone to town on all the ghosts and vampires. Hooray for Jan!

Next big fat envelope was one from my editor at Orchard with two of my Prince Jake stories marked up for final tweaks. And a copy of this which Virgin Trains have done a special printing of - they're going to put a copy of it in every one of their Kids' Summer Bags on the trains this summer. How cool is that?! And if that wasn't exciting enough, the same story is *hopefully* (haven't actually signed anything yet) going to be on THIS! But mustn't count chickens etc, have probably doomed it all to failure now I've even mentioned it...

Final big envelope was a contract for a new series with Working Partners who I've written a lot of books for in the past. So all good stuff which made me feel very business-like and author-ish - always a pleasant feeling (if quite rare)!

Funnily enough (actually not very funny at all), the envelope from our hapless solicitor sending missing form we need for the exchange DIDN'T arrive. Nor did anything about our school application. So the waiting game goes on. Scuse me while I beat my head against my author-ish desk...

2 comments:

Angie said...

How exciting! It's very cool that they're including your book in all the kids' summer bags.
I hope the school situation gets worked out equally well.

Lucy Diamond said...

Hi Angie, yes, the Virgin summer bags thing is brilliant, I am really chuffed about it.

Thanks for your good wishes about the school. There will be much crossing of fingers until we're through the appeal...