Wednesday, 13 June 2007

Romeo, Romeo

I'm going to have to have a quiet word with my son. He has been very busy lately writing lots of little love notes for this girl in his class. Ahh, how sweet, bless, I thought. (He is only 4.) But then last night, I saw him writing a love note to ANOTHER girl in his class. A different girl! And we all know, girls don't like a two-timer.

I need to choose my words carefully. For the good of all those young women who are sure to fall in love with him when he's out of short trousers, I need to drum it into him, once and for all. One girlfriend at a time, all right? You can not tell two girls that you love them in the space of two days. You just can't, okay?

I think this is a key part of raising a son. That, and teaching them to cook, wash up and pick up their own pants and socks from the bedroom floor. I will let you know how I get on.

7 comments:

Jen said...

Oh, that's so sweet! Mind you, I'm rather glad that neither of my boys have become lolloping Lotharios yet. I think No 1 son is avoiding any kissing activity in case it means he actually has to have a wash at some point!

Good luck with the training - you can come and whip my two into shape if you succeed. I'm sure lion-taming would be simpler :(

dulwichmum said...

You show such great "mother in law" potential! An inspiring mother.

DM

DOT said...

dulwichmum made me laugh! I remember being four and absolutely smitten, in fact I still am, by a girl who was one day older than me - MaryClare.

We shared a governess, a Miss Black, who was employed by her family and a darling, even at that age I knew she was a darling.

It sounds posh but this was out in Malaya, as was, in the '50s when my father was in the army and life was different then. (God I sound old!)

DOT said...

God says, "Get over it David, you are old."

Lucy Diamond said...

Jen, I'm sure this is a short-lived phase. Any day now, he will hit the "Girls! URGGGHHH!" wall, and that'll be it, until the testosterone starts flowing in spotty teenagerhood. (The bit about your son not wanting to kiss anyone because it might mean he had to wash first made me laugh!)

Dulwich Mum - I fully intend to be mother-in-law from hell. I am already practising that up and down glance and that "Do you really think you're good enough for MY son, love?" facial expression. Can't wait!


Dot - sounds terribly romantic, you, MaryClare and Miss Black...is that a little torch still burning, I detect?!

Jane Henry said...

Lucy my youngest daughter is on the receiving end of the attentions of the lothario of her class, who has just celebrate his fifth birthday. His mother, too, despairs. However, I think he is exceptionally cute and my daughter is learning a valuable life lesson!

Lucy Diamond said...

It's the quiet ones you've got to watch...