Monday, 25 June 2007

Inbetween Days

I feel as if I'm between lives at the moment. It's a very odd sensation. We've got our moving date now - Thursday 12th (I put my foot down about moving on Friday 13th) so we've just got two and a half weeks left of the Brighton era. I can't quite believe it. I have moved around a lot since I left Nottingham at 18 - Leeds, London, Sydney, Perth, London again, Oxford, London again, Brighton... and on to Bath next month. That feels like a lot of cities and house moves to me. I am looking forward to putting down new roots now and settling for a long, long time.

It's that end-of-era thing that gets me all sentimental. The Brighton years have been fantastic. I will look back on them very fondly as a time of motherhood, family life, friendship and making a go of it as a writer. Two of my children were born in this house, in our bedroom. I love the fact that their births have added to the 'history' of our house, along with all the other people who have been born or died within these walls. It might sound mad but that is actually what I'm finding one of the hardest things about leaving, saying goodbye to that room where my son and youngest daughter first came into the world. When we moved out of our flat in London, where our eldest was born (also in the bedroom), I felt like I was leaving a major memory behind. I'll be sobbing in that removal van when we go, I can tell you now.

So, we've started packing up. Partner went out and got a 'moving kit' of boxes supposedly for a 3 or 4 bedroom house, although whoever thought that you only needed 10 small, 8 medium and 5 large boxes for a house move clearly had no books and no children. And it's something of a wrench, piling up all the things for the charity shops - old baby stuff that's been right at the back of the eaves in the loft, old toys that won't get played with, old clothes...

I'd better go and do some work and stop wallowing in all of this. I'm welling up here!

13 comments:

Caroline said...

Oh honey! Hugs.
You have created and given breath to so much in your home. You should think of it and smile.

A beautiful post.
x

Pacha said...

I always found that just as we were leaving a place, that same place had the habit of embracing me and shining in all its glory. I think it works that way for some reason. All the best!!!

Drunk Mummy said...

Those packing boxes are rather a joke - a bit like the prospect of a small handbag!

Lucy Diamond said...

Thanks Caroline - I am smiling (through the tears!).

Hi Pacha - you're right, I keep dwelling on all the great things about this house, suddenly I'm not so sure I want to leave it!

DM, too right! We have nearly filled them all already with Lego and books. It's off to the greengrocers to scrounge some freebie boxes next time...

JJ said...

Oh god, moving is an emotional time. All the best with it.
JJx

Jane Henry said...

Lucy, but just THINK... You're moving to Bath...

I saw it on David Dimbleby's prog the other day and thought of you.


Please tell us all about the hot spas when you get there!!!

Seriously though, hope it goes ok. Having put my roots down long ago, I would find it a huge wrench to leave here now.

New Mum in Town said...

best of luck with it; we moved when i was 33 weeks pregnant, and i realised it wasn't the moving but the settling in which is the tough part. and resisting my husband's many 'temporary solutions' while unpacking!

btw, sounds like we've trodden similar paths, albeit in a different order; oxford, sydney, perth, brighton, london...

Lucy Diamond said...

Thanks JJ - I have already resolved never to do this again...it's a nightmare!

Hi Jane, yes I did see the Dimbleby programme and got all excited again about living in such a gorgeous place. Don't worry, I am fully intending to research the spas asap and will tell you all about them!

New Mum in Town - wow, that is a bit spooky about living in the same places... Have you thought about moving to Bath next? Or Leeds? ;)
Another spooky coincidence: last time we moved I was 34 weeks pregnant with my son. I found it really stressful, not knowing which city I was going to give birth in (and my house-hunting was very skewed because all I could think, Hmmm, could I give birth in this house? Where would I put my birthing pool?!
Still - at least being up the duff meant no carting heavy boxes around. Unlike this time...

New Mum in Town said...

well i was at hull uni, and my hubby at leeds so does that count?!!

actually bath could well be the next 'move away from london'; very envious, sounds lovely.

have to admit i milked the 'heavily pregnant can't lift a finger' thing, insisting we paid to get people to pack for us; feeling slightly less clever now though, left with residual boxes, unsolved storage problems, AND the baby!!

Lucy Diamond said...

Oooh...come to Bath, you know you want to...

I might have to get pregnant again quick so I don't have to carry any more boxes around... No, actually perhaps that's a bit extreme!

A. Writer said...

What an emotional post.

Memories can be very powerful when attached to an object that you have to say goodbye to. Just remember you'll always have your memories even if you don't have the house anymore.

By the way, I'm over half way with Any Way You Want Me and I'm loving it! It's a great read, I'm hooked! Well done you!

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh thanks, A Writer! Glad you're enjoying it.

Clare said...

Haha yes, we got one of those kits when we moved. I had to keep buying more boxes. I ended up with 100, which was just enough.