Thursday, 21 June 2007

Hanging on the telephone

The phone rings at 9 this morning. It's Useless Solicitor. "Sorry to call so early," she trills. "I haven't woken you up, have I?"
I give a hollow laugh. That'll be the day. "I have three children," I reply. "No, you haven't woken me up."
"We're all set to exchange contracts," she says. "Just a last query from your buyer..."
Oh, here we go. I answer the last query. I seem to remember having answered it about three weeks ago, but I don't quibble.
"Right, that should do it," she says. "I'll get back to you within the hour."

For a brief moment, I allow myself to get excited. Oh my God. We might actually be moving house! After all this time of not allowing myself to get my hopes up about the house JUST IN CASE the sale goes pear-shaped, we might actually be getting somewhere now. I might actually need to start packing, and telling people my change of address and arranging a removal van and everything!

An hour passes. Then two. It's now three and a half hours later, and there's stil no word. I have chased Useless Solicitor by email (don't want to tie up her phone line, obviously) but she has just replied to say our buyers and our sellers are just waiting for last documents.
I think this is going to be a long, long day...

7 comments:

Helen said...

It'll happen soon if it hasn't already. I know when we moved house the very useless building society hadn't released the funds for when we arrived with a lorry full of furniture - so the estate agents wouldn't release the keys. They couldn't anyway as the previous owners had still not moved out. We just walked up and down the street with a two week old baby until a kind neighbour took pity on us! It's a nightmare process but you will get through it. Promise. I always say with houses (and jobs) if its meant to be, it'll be.

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh God!! What a nightmare! The whole house-buying and selling process seems so ludicrous sometimes.
Still no word here. Useless Solicitor is meant to be chasing the other solicitors at 2 but I get the feeling it's not going to happen today after all...

Amanda Mann said...

Useless solicitors - my number 1 hate in all the world and top of my Rm 101 list even above R Kilroy Silk & Simon Schama. Why are there so many of them about that's what I want to know.

Lucy Diamond said...

God I know, they're just crap aren't they? I don't think anything is going to happen today now. Grrrrrrr!

PS Btw I'm with you on Kilroy-Silk, but what have you got against Simon Schama?

Kate.Kingsley said...

Here's hoping it all goes through. Time goes so slowly when you're waiting for somethign important, doesn't it?

We moved about 18 months ago & I swore NEVER AGAIN as its such a nightmare: you spend your whole life chasing banks, solicitors, estate agents, etc ~ final straw for me was having to state if we would be leaving the lightbulbs when filling in the fixtures inventory!

But I'm holding out for good news for you :-)

Kate

PS ~ love the image of Homeless Helen pacing the streets in protest. With the babe in arms, all you needed was a donkey, a star and three wise men....

Caroline said...

Hope it's happened now ... really hope so honey x

Lucy Diamond said...

Kate, it's just hideous, this limbo. I feel like it's never going to end.

Hi Caroline - no, it didn't happen. Maybe tomorrow. Or maybe not...

Off to make a solicitor voodoo doll now and start jabbing in the pins...