Friday, 22 June 2007

Come in, number four

I don't know what ambitious planet I was on last week when I said I'd finish this third novel by the end of July - but I'm back on planet earth again now and can safely say there is no way that's going to happen. What was I thinking??! There's way too much other stuff going on in the rest of my life - and besides, I've reached a tricky stage in the story where everything's got to crisis point and is very intense. I just can't do intense at the moment. I need some laughs and cheerfulness. Which is why I've started a new novel in the meantime!

I have been thinking about this one for a while, and yesterday afternoon I just started writing. The words came out so easily, before I knew it, there were 2,000 of them. And I'm pleased with it, too - I've got my characters set up and each of their plotlines running. I really enjoyed working on something more light-hearted and funny, that feels very 'Lucy Diamond' ish to me. I've got a good feeling about this!


***UPDATE***
We've just exchanged!! We're moving house!! It's all on!!
Hoorayy!!!!!!!!

17 comments:

Helen said...

My plot line is a bit intense at the moment too which is why I keep flicking to other people's blogs!

Crickey - just seen the update section you've put in. Fantastic news!!

Pacha said...

Congratulations!!!

Oh, I read the title of your post and thought you were expecting a fourth child! As if don't have enough on your plate, eh?

Good luck!

Kate.Kingsley said...

Hurrah on the new project!

And Double Hurrah on the move!

Jen said...

Wow, brilliant - you must be sooo relieved!

Yay!!

CTaylor said...

Hooray for the exchange! That's one less thing to worry about!

I know what you mean about intense scenes in novels. Whenever I write one I'm left feeling mentally and emotionally exhausted!

Lucy Diamond said...

Oooh yes, I am sooooo relieved. That feels like a major hurdle. (And no, I am not expecting a fourth child!! Pacha, I nearly choked on my tea when I read that!)

Cava is in the fridge already for later. We're on our way!

Shauna said...

wow, sounds like a top day all round! well bloody done :)

NoviceNovelist said...

Great news on the move - I love that tingly feeling you get about an idea that just seems to flow from you - enjoy it - and the cava!!!!

Nichola said...

Yay! When's the housewarming? ;)

Kelly said...

You certainly know how to pack a lot in to a day. I'm seriously mpressed by 2000 words, characters, plotline etc. Am having total blockage on the writing front and have decided to go house-hunting insead. Not sure that's how it's supposed to be done...

Have been lurking, but lacking the necessary wit to comment up until now. Hope I haven't embarrassed myself!

Caroline said...

Yay! Yay! Yay! to the house move x

Lucy Diamond said...

Thanks everyone - I feel exhausted now that it's official. Too tired even to make cakes for the school summer fair tomorrow (ahem, any excuse...)

Hello Kelly - glad you have delurked!

Angie said...

Oh, congratulations on the move!
Sounds like a great start on the new novel - may be just what you need right now with all the moving stresses.

JJ said...

Brilliant news, Lucy. What a relief.
JJx

Rowan Coleman said...

Lucy - great news on the exchange. We must all be in sync with our books - i'm having that feeling too, but I think it's like marathon running. You hit the wall and then you have to keep on going!(Obviously I run a lot of marathons)

dulwichmum said...

I am really pleased for you. Wonderful news.

DM

Lucy Diamond said...

Cheers, all of you!
Rowan - I think I hit the wall and decided to sit down and have a breather. I am definitely going to finish novel 3 but I feel a bit too pathetic at the moment to cope with all the heavy goings-on of the plot. In the meantime, bring on that light relief!