Sunday, 10 June 2007

Beside the seaside

Lovely weekend. Lovely lovely. Spent yesterday at a kid's party which was held on a farm amidst beautiful rolling hills of Sussex countryside. Gorgeous sunny day, bunnies to stroke and chickens to feed, children all bouncing around sweaty and excited, plus lots of the lovely school mums for me to gossip with. I will miss them all, they are fab.

Today we went to West Wittering beach, which is a vast sandy beach a few miles south of Chichester. I was woken this morning by lovely partner saying the following: "Here's a cup of tea, I've packed a picnic and the swimming stuff, let's go to the beach asap". Brilliant way to start the day, all five of us dead excited. There is something so wonderful about going to the beach with young children, that revisiting of one's childhood. Digging trenches, paddling, making sandcastles, sandy sandwiches, harassing crabs in pools... Bliss. I even wore my bikini - well, all right, tankini, but I have been eating too many biscuits lately to get my belly out (I am not one of those people who lose weight when stressed, I am a comfort eater and drinker, unfortunately...)

Anyway, I have burnt shoulders to show for it and still feel a bit sandy in the wrong places but feel very happy. Just what I needed before we head into crunch week of contracts and schools admissions...

9 comments:

hellojed said...

Bliss! Good luck next week.

Pacha said...

Oh! I am so glad you came back and I am so glad you are feeling more positive and happy...and determined to continue writing as Lucy Diamond. Personally I can't wait for book 2 to hit the bookshops! Please please don't give up!!! All the best.

NoviceNovelist said...

What a nice surprise to find you back! Glad you are over the doldrums - AWYWM was a fabulous read and I'm sure the next one will be also!!! Keep writing - that is the cure for the black dog!!!!When I feel bleak about writing in any way I always remember how I feel much worse when I don't write!!!! Fingers crossed for your move! It was a lovely weekend to be living on the south coast!!!

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh, aren't you all lovely? Thanks for the pep talks, Pacha and NoviceNovelist, very much appreciated.

It was a lovely weekend to be living on the south coast, you're right, NN. I will miss the sea... I forgot to mention the weird thing that happened yesterday. It had been hazy sunshine all morning, hot but breezy - but then at about 1, this sea mist started rolling along the sand about a foot off the ground. Suddenly we couldn't see the sea, or the end of the beach - very peculiar. My six-year-old said, "It's like watching ghosts moving across the beach" - and she was spot on (she is SO going to be a writer, that one!). Spooky!

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Oh look! You're back! Sorry to hear about the AWYWM figures, but, y'know, it's a fickle old market (definitely the fault of the market not the book, and I speak with authority here). Please don't give up - lots of really good writers don't get fully into their sales-figure-stride until book 3 or so (e.g. off the top of my head Jonathan Coe who wrote two perfectly good books before What A Carve Up but nobody has ever heard of either of them). Glad the weekend was so good. Hope the coming week isn't as dire as you fear. Hang in there!

Lucy Diamond said...

Cheers Zinnia, I especially appreciate being likened to Jonathan Coe, however tenuously!

Amanda Mann said...

Aww, I was so surprised to hear you had a bit of a wobble. AWYWM was a fantastic read, you're a total natural &I agree with whoever said it'll start flying in the summer, there's plenty of legs in that there book yet.

I am simply agog at the cup of tea in bed, picnic packed, lets go to the beach hubby, WOW!

Caroline said...

Sounds like a wonderful day.
Hugs,
Cx

Lucy Diamond said...

Amanda, that's really kind of you to say so - I hope you're right.
And yes, he's a bit of a catch, isn't he, that man of mine?!

Caroline - I totally recommend the beach as a good place to go and chill after your launch. Don't forget the sun cream, though!