Thursday, 24 May 2007

What to do?

So, here's my dilemma. Tonight, a load of mums from eldest daughter's class are going to the pub. Normally, I would go too - they are all lovely, and I know it will be a good laugh with lots of gossip, and will probably all get a bit loud and messy. Perfect.
BUT also meeting in the same pub tonight (and it's not a big pub) is my friend J and her book group. And because friend J is such a superstar, she picked MY book for them to buy and talk about this month (and it's a big book group - eight or nine of them. How I love J, thank you, thank you!) So they will all be discussing my book in there tonight... and obviously I'm dying to know what they all think of it, good and bad. But if I'm in there, it will totally inhibit them from talking about it - especially if I start flicking them the Vs, glaring or throwing peanuts at them for every negative comment. (I don't normally behave like this in public but you know, when I'm pushed, I just might...) Maybe I could plant a bug on my friend J? Or go in disguise and spy on them? Or... am I just getting a bit carried away, perhaps? Hmmm.

My mum made me laugh on the phone last night. She has become my East Midlands PR person, by the sound of it - she said, They know me in the Beeston Smiths, oh, and the Burton-on-Trent Smiths and I was in the Ashby Smiths the other day, asking why the Lucy Diamonds didn't have the 'Buy One Get One Half Price' stickers on any more. There was a bloke putting said stickers on some other books so I went over and said to him, can I have a few of those stickers to put on these Lucy Diamonds, please? - and she stickered them all up herself!
Brilliant. Thanks, Mum. Now maybe you could do me a viral campaign to bump up my Amazon sales? I have slid down to 25,000 this morning. Bummer.

Right. Back to new project. I need to send the first bit of it off to my editor tomorrow morning, so really must crack on. And I guess that's another reason why I shouldn't go out on the lash tonight, too...

PS Nichola, haven't forgotten the meme, will do it soon!

9 comments:

Helen said...

You still have stickers on in my local Borders...I checked the other day.

Burton-on-Trent and Ashby? That's where my family originate from.

Lucy Diamond said...

Stickers in the Brighton Borders too. Hooray for Borders!!
I'm from Nottingham originally, so not far from your family, although my parents live in Leicestershire now. (Apparently the Beeston Smiths are promoting AWYWM as 'by a local author' even though I haven't lived round there for, ooh, 18 years or so...)

Helen said...

I was born in Nottingham and brought up in a small town on the Notts/Derbyshire border.....

Lucy Diamond said...

How funny - I grew up just near the A52 (Derby Road)!

Helen said...

I've sent you an email via your website...

lady macleod said...

I think bugging your friend is the way to go. THAT''S what mothers are for. I can only imagine her pride and sheer fun.

Lucy Diamond said...

Helen - your email hasn't got through yet - sometimes there's a delay, annoyingly. Will reply as soon as I get it though...am wondering if we went to the same school now!

Hello Lady Macleod - yes, the bug is a good idea. Or maybe I could rig up some kind of surveillance system in the pub?!

Drunk Mummy said...

Lucy - how about a sort of French farce, where you turn up as School Mum, have a few beers with the other mums, then dive into the loos and put on a sparkly dress and glam wig, returning to the bar as Author Mum. Dazzle the book group with your star quality, accept all glasses of champagne and compliments, before diving back to the loos and reverting to School Mum again. Theoretically, you could keep the illusion going for hours, although everyone will think you have a bladder infection.

Lucy Diamond said...

DrunkMummy, you have such style, that is a fabulous suggestion! Can anybody out there lend me a sparkly dress and wig by eight o'clock this evening? It's an emergency!