Thursday, 17 May 2007

Men and their fridges. And tra la la

895 in Amazon this morning... That's good. Got down (or up, rather) to 420 yesterday which was dead exciting. It gave me such a boost, I found myself turning a blind eye to all sorts of things that would usually have had me ratty and shouting, ie children's duvets being thrown down the stairs, all cushions off sofa to make a 'bear cave', games tipped all over the floor... I just smiled gaily, thinking oh, sod it, it's not important tra la la...

I am having a bit of time off today for good behaviour. I got a voucher for a massage as one of my Christmas presents and I'm booked in for this morning. Oh, joy. Then, I'm going to buy some new clothes. And maybe shoes. Oh joy, joy, joy, joy.

Still no word on the school situation. Am braced for the end of tra la la and joy, joy, joy feelings as soon as that miserable letter of refusal comes through the door. Still, I'm hoping the fact that I'm a writer and my partner is a political campaigner means that between us we will be able to cobble together a bloody good letter of appeal (if I don't smudge the ink by weeping all over it, of course.) What a mad and stressful year this is turning out to be.

Will try and do some more work on the novel this afternoon if I am not too blissed out - this morning it struck me that now that Sexy Goody-Two-Shoes Will has become Dark, Mysterious Will with Hidden Past, he hasn't got the right stuff in his fridge. I originally wrote him as having salad and skimmed milk but now that he's not such a goody-goody, I think I should bung in some thick slabs of steak and his own bodyweight in booze. Hmmm. I like thinking about this kind of detail. Does that make me a bit sad?!

Anyway, enough about imaginary characters and their fridges, I'm off to get my shoulders and unknotted and give my credit card a severe bashing. See you later.

10 comments:

rilly super said...

Lucy dear, The things the novelist has to worry about nowadays, sigh. George Eliot never had to worry about fridges. If you are going to give your hero an american size Smeg full of steak and beer you may have to give him a new larger and more elasticated wardrobe too though...

Shanta Everington said...

Hi Lucy

Just wanted to say thanks for your supportive comments on my blog. I went right to your bolg to read your extract and boy was it talking to me! As a new(ish) mum trying to write and earn a living and definitely feeling scummy rather than yummy, I was hooked! Have already ordered a copy!

I'm launching my novel tonight and I feel sick!!

Shanta x

Lucy Diamond said...

Rilly, I know! You are absolutely right. George Eliot et al didn't know they were born, the stresses and strains today's authors go through. Tsk tsk.

Hello Shanta - thank you for ordering a copy of the book! And very best of luck with your launch. Congrats!

@themill said...

Doing battle with the social services for our mentally handicapped daughter so know how you feel. Good luck with the school thing

New mum in town said...

congrats on your amazon ranking; a published author AND living a glam lifestyle (for the day anyway!), definitely feeling the envy...sigh, off to give my 5 week old some infacol and a bath, yay!

Lucy Diamond said...

Hello @themill - good luck with your social services battle. Why is none of this important stuff as easy as it should be? Hope it all works out anyway.

Hello NewMum - ooh, I remember the infacol days. I hope you are surviving okay. Colic is definitely a design fault in newborn babies, if you ask me. Hope Iris isn't suffering too much. (Hope you aren't either, come to that.)
xx

Angie said...

Congratulations on the rankings. I've been meaning to ask will the book be published in the US?
Hope you enjoyed your pampering day yesterday.

Oh, and Dark Will could have salad and skimmed milk in his fridge if he's a bit stuck on himself and his looks...of course, ample amounts of booze would help round him out!

Nichola said...

Hello again!

While I was taking a break from blogging I finished reading AWYWM and I only have one thing to say...

When's the next one coming out? :D

JJ said...

Lucy
While I was having Sunday lunch just now in the Londoner Pub (in Bangkok - anyone confused?) The Sunday Times had an article about appeals for schools. I didn't get to the end of the article because husband made me leave, but you might find it online? I think it was in the review section... where the chris woodhead letters are.
Hope it helps.
JJ

Lucy Diamond said...

Hi Angie - you are absolutely right about Will's vanity, good point. I have put a whole chicken in his fridge to confuse my heroine (but he's a bachelor! Who is he cooking all that chicken for??? etc.)
Not sure if the book will make it to the States to be honest - nobody has signed it up. Yet. Obviously it's all a matter of time, though...

Hello Nichola! Awww, thanks!!! Glad you liked it. And the next one is out spring next year, I think - April or May.

Hi JJ, thanks for the tip, I will seek it out. Cheers!